Back pain after long rides?

Hi Guys hope your doing well , i have been riding my board for about two months now and am loving it sometimes i go on long rides i would say 25kms and when i am done my lower back gets sore and starting hurting , keep in mind the roads are a bet bumpy here lots of cracks and stuff , the beach side where i spend most of the time isn’t flat either so i get lots of vibrations , i am just wondering i am the only one facing this problem and if there are any others how do you deal with it, i was thinking of getting some shoes gel pads

Can be from vibration and not standing fully upright for a long time. Standing in a stable bent over stance puts a lot of strain on your muscles, but its probably not advisable to stand fully upright on your board. Vibrations only make it worse so any dampening could help. E.g. shoes, springy deck, rubber risers, lower hardness and larger wheels, or even pneumatics.

1 Like

You probably have bad posture which feels natural to have when riding esk8. You need to strengthen your core, and improve your posture. Pull your shoulders back and down. Riding with a backpack can help you recognize when you are bending forward at the midsection and not at the hips. When was the last time you did sit ups or similar workout?

1 Like

Try this… works wonders once I found this out… It’s godsend. lol

2 Likes

Most peoples lower back pain is from there hamstrings being to tight. You want to stretch one leg at a time and don’t over do it.

http://www.docpods.com/images/Hamstring-Stretch-Sitting-WEB.jpg

Sit-ups are very bad for the back! Abs are made in the kitchen not the gym.

2 Likes

Every esk8’er should exercise their core and muscles in general. Also stretching is as important as exercise.

And try some good shoes. At first i used Converses and those were awful, then i tried Nike Air maxs and loved them.

@smurf This is good advise. My lower back was really sore, when i used to drive 500km/day/365, but stretching hamstrings really worked well.

1 Like

Skateboarding is a contact sport! You should stretch and be mentally and physically prepared.

1 Like

You need to improve your core strenght.

If you have no medical problems, this is the only reason why your back hurts after long rides

2 Likes

Poeple are right, you need decent core streght and stability. All the movement and vibrations your muscles dont “eat up” is left for your body to deal with. I get back pain from riding very regularely since I have 2 fractured vertebras so I can mayby tell you what helped me. First, train your muscles. If you have a trainings plan laying around which is suited for you pick it up again. If not ask a friend who works in fitness, physio area. If that is also not possible I would be happy to introduce you to my exercises via PM or here, but they are rather gentle since I need to pay additional care. But if you already have minor issues and are not familiar with build up training, don’t just wing it please :slight_smile: Second, your position. It is important that you don’t “sack” meaning relaxed stomach and back muscles, that way its so much more tiring and painfull in the end. Try to stabilize your core during most of your ride, also very important not to form a hollow back during rides.

Your Idea about the shoes might work somewhat, but the vibrations and the forces impacting your body will allways be there, you need to deal with them and not try to say “outsource” the problem :slight_smile: I am confident to assume that the pain you are feeling is muscular, sore back muscles especially the autochthone part of it can hurt like a *******. I don’t want to overrreach here, but even though it seems rather relaxing since all the effort is done by the motors, but the result of the velocity etc. is still carried by your body.

1 Like

Human being should walk at least 30km a day.

1 Like

Well most of us walk max 1km per day :smiley: which is kind of sad, but who has that much time.

1 Like

Students :wink: and people with dogs. The rest not so much :wink:

1 Like

Here most of students use bus or live next to school. Dog owners do that, but 30km walking takes 7.5h with average speed (4kmh). But it’s different if you are for example waiter and stand whole day.

1 Like

true. I mean I commute daily with my e-board and walk my dogs 2 times a day. Wont come near 30km though. 5km morning run and afternoon stroll. Is the 30km a official treshhold or for medical reasons ?

1 Like

Thank you for the advice guys really appreciate it , well i wouldn’t say i have a weak core i do train from time to time but i need to go back to the gym , i think the problem is i stand fully upright most of the time i dont bend my knees much cuz they get tired, i did some stretches last night and i feel alright now , one thing that i think has an effect is the fact that i set on a chair all day long it give me pain from time to time

I think you already know what the issue is - bad posture when riding - need more exercise - etc.

25kms seems like a pretty long ride - i’d suggest you work up to the longer distance, or stop and stretch periodically, or see if you can switch positions (goofy to regular and regular to goofy) - see if that helps.

vibrations and rough roads - do you have the ability to run bigger and softer wheels? If you have the 83mm flywheel clones - upgrading to the legit flywheels and seeing if you can find the 75a duro wheels might help. Or go to 90 or 97 if your board will clear them w/o big risers. I also saw some padded grip tape to help with vibrations - landyachtz has some. There’s also a kickstarter for some.

Hope it helps - good luck! Back pain sucks…

1 Like

I recommend you get a stand up desk even if you buy it out of pocket your health and wellbeing is worth it. You can always lower it and sit back down .

Do you feel relaxed while riding, 'cause riding with tension could also result in pain in your lower back.

well i usually stop at the beach and chill for a bet , about the position i can’t switch i am goofy and i tried to ride regular but i couldn’t go lol , about the wheels , i have 83 mm clones i don’t think 97 would make a difference if i am going to upgrade i would def go with the pneumatics , i will deff try other shoes i have i wear some hummels that are just like converse they have almost no isolation but i like them because they are flat and grep really well when i am riding i have some vans style ones ill try them and see how that turns out , thank you for the advice

i am def considering it right now , i am self employed so i will buy it out of my pocket anyways , setting down for 14 hours a day is really starting to give me problems, thank you for the suggestion