Bad cell on a battery

I rode my board for about 3 hours the other day with 2 Zippy Flightmax 5s 8000mah batteries in series. When I got off the board, the voltage was at 37. When I tried to charge the batteries, I was getting a voltage error. I grabbed my multimeter and quickly found the issue was one of the cells on one of the batteries was reading 1.25 volts. I just ordered a new 8000mah generic battery cell from eBay that I am going to try replacing the dead cell with.

Has anyone else had this issue before? Has anyone had success with replacing a single cell on their battery with a generic cell? Here is a link to the cell I purchased: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-3-7V-8000-mAh-Polymer-Li-Lipo-Battery-GPS-PSP-PDA-ipod-DVD-Tablet-PC7565121/282379380717?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649

I thinks that’s not the same battery as in your zippy pack. These are not made for high discharge currents. They will maybe give max 5A and mixing different cells is not a good idea. I should just remove the dead cell so you get a 9S battery instead of a 10S.

1 Like

9S or get a better replacement cell.

1 Like

does anyone know where I can get a better replacement cell? I can make a free return on the cell I bought. Otherwise I guess I’ll just do 9s.

I usually just get a smaller pack for spares. If they have those Zippy packs in 2S or 3S variant, buy one of those and salvage the cell from that. You will have one or two more spare cells as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! Honestly I’ll probably just run 9s for a bit until another cell fails then get a 2s pack.

Well, yeah. I’m currently on 7S. Normally on 8S :slight_smile: Sh!t hapens…

1 Like