"Bad Idea"/ Jet Spud / Freeboard bindings / MEB 12s2p / Ollin VESC / TB 6355 sensored motor

Whoops, double post.

Updates!! Sensor wires were kicking my butt until @Titoxd10001 graciously sent me a few of his extra 2mm 6 pin connectors. These connectors are a perfect fit for the VESC. Here you see the connector (larger one) vs 6 pin connector on motor.

Then I started laying in the wires…lots of wires. Followed by the resin from west systems Total pain in the ass to work with…just gets every where. Thought I had the hole around sensor wires closed off…wrong dripped everywhere and ultimately forced me to replace the 6 pin connector…fortunately @Titoxd10001 sent me a few

2 Likes

Here it is street side before I cleaned it up. The three little connectors are where the sensor wires plug into the board.

Then lots of sanding and on to painting

5 Likes

While waiting for the paint to dry, I cleaned up the Sugru around the battery meter/lcd.

Then more painting and waiting. Ultimately did three coats of silver and three clear coat.

4 Likes

You can see the two pin connector sticking out if the grip tape slightly. Thats where the battery meter will plug into the board.

Man that’s sweet, so doing that with my freebord bindings.

1 Like

A few pics street side. Really like black on black with the enclosure. @psychotiller does a great enclosure!!

7 Likes

And finally…all together.

12 Likes

That’s the best execution of a bad idea I’ve seen! Let us know how it rides Love the meter on the hook!

3 Likes

Looks awesome!

Thanks dude. Appreciate the assist.

Np. How does it ride?

really great, nice idea with the grip tape patches and cool place for the battery info!

1 Like

I’ve only had time for a quick run around the block, but it rides really well for such a short board. Biggest surprise is how much extra control the bindings provide. Haven’t worked up the courage to hop a curb yet, but I had no problem jumping cracks and small rocks going 5ish mph on my first ride.

Need to weigh the board and take some video.

1 Like

Soo much easier to carry around without full grip tape. Seems trivial, but it’s noticeable when carrying the board around for a few minutes. It’s little things like this that make for a more enjoyable ownership experience.

Cool! sounds like lots of fun

Gorgeous day in SoCal today. Family esk8 ride…well except for my 8yr old daughter (scooter). This was the first significant ride with the Bad idea board and I learned three things: 1.) 3D printed wheel pulley really needs nuts and washers securing the pulley to wheel. Currently just have the screws with loc-tight…screws were vibrating loose by end of ride. 2.) This thing is an absolute blast!!! Really changes the nature of a ride, you’re not just cruising, you’re looking for curbs, cracks, and rocks to jump. That said, its also surprisingly good at cruising and carving. 3.) Bad idea board gets more attention than all the other boards combined. I suppose it’s the bindings or maybe people seeing me jump it, but it definitely attracts notice and so far all positive notice.

15 Likes

Hey, can you link where you bought the sensor wires please. Thanks!