Bad Motor Detection: FAULT_CODE_NONE

Whats up guys, I’m running 10s to my VESC and its powering a 290kV Turnigy motor.

All was dandy until mid ride my board basically lost all power from the motor. My batteries were at 40V so I don’t think its a voltage issue. Since then I cannot get the VESC to detect the motor in bldc, yet it won’t spit out a fault code. I’ll attach some screenschots of my BLDC

Any advice would be much appreciated!

-Aaron

do the red lights keep blinking? 290kv at 40v is way over the vesc erpm limit. that can kill the drv chip

Yeah, it blinks three times when powered on

Where is the VESC from? Is it a VESC X? 290kv on 10S VESC probably killed it

3 red blinks at startup is normal. any red blinking after that is not

Ok correction, it blinks 4 times on start up… Is that abnormal?

Enertion… and from what I read after I got it is that they arent the best to buy from.

Its not the VESC-X, It was from their September batch if I remember correctly

@carl.1 could help you diagnose the problem. Send a few pictures of your VESC please

I’ve been in contact with them via email previously and they referred me here haha

Try doing a motor detection then go in the terminal and type faults

it returns “FAULT_CODE_NONE”

what does the motor do when performing a motor detection

Nothing at all, doesn’t spin up or even make noise

and i’m assuming it returns detection fail?

show some pics of your setup

yeah just “Bad Motor Detection”

I’ll try to upload some pics tomorrow, the lighting in my room is terrible.

From what @Namasaki said I may have fried my DRV chip… Is there a way I can check with a voltmeter or somethin?

My only other guess is a poor solder joint connection somewhere, but all look and feel secure…

BTW thanks for takin the time to help guys!

you would get a DRV fault code in the terminal if your drv would be dead. I’m suspecting your motor connections or your motor itself. 10S with 290Kv, that guy is working orvertime.

one way to test your motor, unplug it from the vesc, short 2 leads at a time (motor side) and try to turn your motor by hand. do you feel resistance from it? or touch all 3 of them together and try to spin the motor by hand

1 Like

Ahh, I see. I am using a thicker internal wire gauge on the connecting wire from the motor to the vesc, think that could be causing some sort of internal resistance causing it to fault?

I will try that and report back with details

Not quite sure what you mean, but bigger gauge wire would not cause any faults. Appart that it is harder to solder/splice

sorry I worded that poorly. Im using 10AWG all the way from the vesc to the motor its just that the wire I used in between them was really stiff instead of it being the type thats made of a bunch of fine silver wires twined together, I have stuff like this.

I remember having trouble with it bonding when first trying to solder the connections up.

I dont want to steer you in the wrong direction, reason why high strand count wires are used is they handle vibrations much better and are much more malleable. Check the conductivity of your connection with a meter. A broken connection within the jacket of the wire is very possible with that type of wire

1 Like