Bad Motor Detection: FAULT_CODE_NONE

Yeah I was noticing a trend with all the other builds but I used what I had lying aroung atm :sweat_smile:

this joint connection isnt in the best place either.

Well, I wouldn´t ride a 10s with a 290kV. You need to get something like a 190kv motor and set your erpm limit to 60000. You´ll probably kill your DRV if you ride like that a few more miles!

Also I think you broke the erpm record with that combination :smiley:

1 Like

First, if you lost power and have a FAUL_CODE_NONE error, in most cases it is a bad connection from the motor to the vesc, one of the surrounding component of the mosfet circuit is broke down or badly solder.

Second, these 10awg cable you seem to use are to rigid, that why you should use 10awg silicone wire, and because they are so rigid they might put unwanted pressure on soldering joint inside your motor or on the vesc.

Third, if you running sensor, check your sensor cable, be sure that they are all get a good connection… Or try to run a new motor detection and check if all the sensor are detect.

Lmao unfortunately I didn’t educate myself enough on the erpm limit when buying my motor. I’m surprised the chip hasn’t blown yet considering I’ve rode it 5-10 miles since it was built! Its pretty quick though, hit 24 MPH with a 12-40 ratio :grin:

Yeah I was thinking it could be some sort of a connection issue. I’ll upgrade my wire and see if that helps.

Even 10AWG is overkill, i would stick with 12AWG, easier to solder and handle

if its blinking when you are doing the motor detection what does that mean?

Do you mean it’s blinking red during motor detection?

yes it blinks red 4 or 5 times and it says bad motor detection

remove the belt and pulley if you haven’t already and unplug the phase wires. Then turn the motor by hand to make sure nothing is restricting its rotation. Like something on the motor hitting the mount plate like a shaft key or circle clip. Or the screws that hold the motor on the plate, if they are too long they could be scraping something inside the motor.

i have tried that. the problem still occurs

After trying the diagnostic terminal again and typing ‘faults’ I received the code: “FAULT_CODE_DRV8302”

Any advise on ESC repair or does it look like I need to drop some cash for a new ESC?

I also need to either choose a new motor, one with a lower kv or reduce the cell count in my battery setup.

Suggestions as to which one would be a better call?

Thanks everyone,

A-Aron

I am having no faults and no motor detection I bought the turnigy sk3 192kv motor off of ebay and I’m worried there is a short in the mtor is there a way to check with multimeter? When I go to detect the motor it blicks once green then once green again when it’s done and states motor detection failed bottom right corner.

Not sure how to check but I had the same problem as you and it was because of a horrible in the motor. However me being me decided to continue running motor detection and eventually the short in the motor caused the drv to fry. Don’t try to keep using the motor until you know it doesn’t have a short.

thank you for the advice! I checked the motor with a esc and it worked so I also checked the resistance of my vesc wires and got 0. Maybe I am using the wrong bldc tool for my vesc? Although it is writing configurations sometimes it takes me 2 clicks on writing configuration for it to work. Maybe it is my cable connecting the vesc because I am using kind of a dinky one. Wouldn’t it have issues connecting or writing configurations if that was the case??? Still getting bad motor detection, no fault codes, and green lights when trying to bench test it or motor detect… I am thoroughly frustrated with myself for not being able to know the solution and solve this because I’m 70% sure it’s a simple fix… ughh :rage:

To check if there is a short in the motor, with it disconnected from everything short two of the phase wires together and spin the motor with your hand. Does it feel harder to turn compared to none of the phase wires being shorted? If it does that means the motor is fine. Shortin all three should give even greater turning resistance

Where did you buy your VESC?

I tested motor on another esc so thankfully that checks out. I checked all solder joints and vexc wires from the mosfets have 0 resistance so that’s not the issue. But the vesc was from ebay or amazon about a year ago I can’t remeber which it’s 2.18 firmware 4.12 model.