Balance Charging only pulls 0.01-0.03 amps, is it supposed to take a week to balance charge?

that wasn’t so obvious, and sounds like a bunch of work for what can be fixed while I work tomorrow with an 8 hour slow balance charge to get things evened out. lesson is learned though.

when you use the balance charge function on your charger it does a funny little dance with a series of resistors across each cell. when a cell reaches 4.20V it stop charging all cells puts a resistor across that cell and waits for it to drain down to 4.19V and then starts charging all cells again. the reason it takes forever to charge is because it is in fact NOT charging but rather discharging your 4.20V cells ever so slowly, before ever so slowly trying to charge all the other cells only to be stopped again by the high cell. this dance continues, charging and discharging 0.01V up and down for hours at a very low amperage.

the only way to stop this is to individually charge each low cell up to 4.20V (or at least whatever voltage the high cell is at) via the balance connector. setting your charger to 1S or 2S accordingly… you will likely need to custom make a cable for 2S but 1S cables are probably provided with your charger.

My apologies for my previous post which is now withdrawn, it was not very friendly to @lowGuido, I meant no offense. I think I have been a bit spooked by this thread: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/exploding-lipo-batteries-is-no-joke/9634?u=dinodave

I don’t believe most people should try to screw around with what @lowGuido is recommending here however. If you know exactly what you are doing and have full faith in your charger and wiring, by all means, it could sort out your problem. It’s just that there are possibilities things could go wrong if you make a mistake, so please be careful.

by all means be careful with lipos. they can be dangerous. I’d even say more dangerous charging unattended…

here is a good video. watch it and it will explain everything.

1 Like

Hey guys, just wanna say how much I appreciated the input. I spent the morning balancing my cells and now it’s balance charging at .75C, which is basically as fast as the fast charge was going. Balance charging from now on since its not any faster than fast charging

1 Like

You should never fast charge Lipos. You should always balance charge Lipos. Balance charging doesn’t take that long. I could fully balance charge a 6s 5000mah Lipo pack in 1 hour or less charging at 5amps. If your pack won’t balance, it may already be damaged from unbalanced fast charging.

I think they arrived a little unbalanced, which is why it was taking hours to balance one battery. After all the advice last night I spent the past 8 hours balancing them, then took a short joy ride. Now they balance at .75C which is perfect! Will definitely be balance charging for now on

1 Like

When ever I buy Lipos I check them first with a Turnigy IR meter. I’ve gotten 2 bad packs from HK right out of the box. Lipos should have no more than 5 miliohms per cell when new.

Having this same problem with one of my 5000mAh 30C LiPo the past few days. Cell 1: 4.16 Cell 2: 4.16 Cell 3: 4.20

I have tried to leave it at Balance Charging for more than an hour yesterday but it stayed at those values.

Today as of this moment I am Discharging it at 1A to about 3.7V per cell and will see if they come together. Then will Balance Charge back up. (BTW I always Balance Charge my LiPos and this was the only LiPo out of my 3 that went off track.

there is 2 types of balancing; top balancing and bottom balancing. you can either discharge all cells to the lowest voltage of charge all cells to the highest voltage. i would suggest to try both in succession to bring them back.

One of my 10s1p packs with integrated BMS is only charging to 40.9 volts, after about 100 cycles. So I’m assuming the cells are out of balance. I had made it a habit of trying to keep the voltage under 40-41 volts most of the time to increase cycle lifetime. But after reading about how balance charging works, it looks like I might have not allowed the BMS to do its work, because it only functions on fully charged cells. So does this mean it’s actually better to always fully charge battery packs to keep them balanced? I hope I can get it balanced again, leaving it plugged in over night didn’t help so far. Does it make a difference if you’re charging with a higher or lower amp charger?