Battery advice for first build

So if I did 10 sets of 2 batteries do I put the balance wire in between the batteries? and could I stack them like they do in TV remotes?

Correct. This article will probably be very helpful for you. Itā€™s be referenced many times around here before.

Anything yet on the esc? Iā€™m really interested

I am waiting for the chain to be able to test under load but so far it has performed flawlessly(speed control, connecting it to the computer to change settingsā€¦) Here is a link to the testing setup: https://goo.gl/photos/crLjisEReYtcvCp29 I ll let you know once I finish receiving parts and installing everything under the board.

Iā€™m currently working on my on diy battery, youā€™re absolutely right, itā€™s a lot of work doing the laptop method(what im doing). I have all the battery sorted but I have not decided which way to put my batteries in because I donā€™t know which way is the best. Also, if I I have a good laptop battery, could I just disassemble it and directly hook up the balance charge leads instead of disassembly and re- soldering?

Can you give a number about how much batteries youā€™ve already harvested?

Wel, if all the cells are 100% good, I assume you could just desolder the pcb and keep the balance wires, as I think, they should be in the right orderā€¦ unless the bms requires opposite wiring.

How many cells you want to put in series and how many in parallel. I made a laptop battery which is working quite well. But you really need a lot of batteryā€™s. The best would be to put 12 in series and as many as you can fit in parallel when you stick to your laptop battery plan. In minimum you have to go for 48 batteries 12S4P. But the power output would only be enough for a cruiser. Better would be 12S8P, then you have some decent power.

I probably have about 30 batteryā€™s harvested. I could acquire more, just ask local PC shops. They throw them away anyways so they might just give you them

I tried that with 2 battery packs but it didnā€™t work, I must be doing something wrong.

It just gives me an error message on my iMax b6

Remove the Laptop BMS

By removing it, itā€™s should work?

Wire the balance leads directly to the batterys. But then you need 5 wires. I recommend to watch some videos about building DIY battery packs and balancing batteryā€™s.

Iā€™ve watched every video out there. How much batteries did it take your board to run how youā€™d like it.

I made it 12S8P = 96 cells.

You probably need a 5 wires for this battery. There seems to be 4 groups of 2cells in each groupā€¦

I dont remember anymoreā€¦ but you need to find a balance cable wiring diagramā€¦

Basically, you connect the first wire to the negative terminal of the first battery, then you connect the rest of the cables to the positive side of each parallel groupā€¦

And yes, get rid of that bms circuit boardā€¦ It is probably not gonna let you access the battery directly. ( i think you can re-solder the red wire, as the rest of the wires seem to be soldered directly to the battery)

From the picture it looks like you still need to access the brown cableā€¦ other than that, you should be able to use it after thatā€¦ you can find a 5pin connector and once everything is done check if balance charger recognizes the battery.

That is how you need to wire the power cables and the balance cables.

2 Likes

Yeah Iā€™ve looked at this diagram before, itā€™s pretty helpful. For my battery, I need one more wire, Iā€™m just gonna order jst 4s from Amazon. In the picture is the jst 3s.

You got it. But i think you have to separate the cells anyway. Maybe you can leave the P packs together because they worked together during their entire lifespan so they also should act identical. And then you could charge all the cells in parallel (the 4 packs in parallel).