Bearing Insertion Blues

Had a similar issue with a couple of the bearing spacers that came with my superstar wheels. It’s almost as if their inner diameter was slightly too small for them to fit on the truck hanger shaft. Ended up having to grind the inside of the spacers down with a sanding bit on my dremel.

That reply from customer service is honestly appalling though…

chrysler.

Clean the bearing outer race with some alcohol.

Put the bearing in the freezer.

Wait an hour or so.

Heat the hub up with a blow dryer, or heat gun turned down low.

Take the bearing out of the freezer with pliers so it won’t stick to your fingers.

Drop it in the hole.

Tap it with a block of wood if necessary.

I guarantee sucesss.

If you have to take it out down the road just put the whole wheel in the freezer for an hour or two, and then take it out and warm up the hub then pop the bearing out with a drift.

14 Likes

but that’s so much less entertaining than watching someone destroy a hub :frowning:

That’s the one thing they told you to do to fix it. HIT THAT FUCKER

Hit it!

5 Likes

You can hit it with a hammer just get a socket that matches the outside ring of the bearing. Line it up and slam that hammer down.

While most esk8ing companies send a skate tool with their boards, trampa boards come with a hammer. :joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

And o-rings for bearing spacers.

1 Like

I would first suggest rigging up some ghetto bearing press from a bolt and sockets, or even just sockets and a vice. I think that while hammering it might be fun to watch, that method lacks any precision.

2 Likes

@trampa what a way to talk to your customers. As someone who has lead training on bearing installation/removal/maintenance I can’t believe you’re telling your customers to abuse a bearing while installing it. Not only will this certainly lessen the life of the bearing, it may render it broken before installation. If your bearing manufacturers knew you were recommending this type of installation they would be ashamed. Looks like you guys need to hit up one of the many reputable bearing manufacturers for training such as SKF, NSK, Schaeffler Group(INA, FAG), etc. What a joke.

1 Like

Yeah cuz hitting a hardened steel socket with a hardened steel hammer is also a great idea! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CjKJ9v63Jk

Go to 4:22 Listen/Learn

4 Likes

The bearing recesses are supposed to be cnc milled for fitment AFTER anodizing. Your hubs looks like they were missing manufactured.

Even states this on the trampa website

Your spokes should be raw at the bearing interface.

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing this out. Sure sounds like that could be the issue. Right now, I’m still trying to understand why I have been ill advised by a trampa rep and why they didn’t pick up on this. I just hope that this type of thing does not happen to other people. If I would have known this was how their customers were treated then I sure as heck would not have made the initial purchase.

4 Likes

I’m not sure, but mine are opposite. The bearings are so loose they will fall out if you shake the wheel with the bearings facing the ground. No milling on mine either and I bought them some time ago. Maybe that step has been removed?

3 Likes

oooo man I gotta get ready to tell my kids about the great Trampa scandal of 2018

4 Likes

What’s even more wierd though, the other side that does fit is also anodized, not raw

Good point. I’ve just got home and checked out the hubs again and yes, both sides seem to be anodised. It just seems like there are a LOT of inconsistencies with these Superstar hubs from Trampa and, after dealing with their aggressive customer service, it doesn’t leave me with a lot of confidence in the product/brand.

Well made, quality informational video there. I’ll definitely be watching more of his vids. While it sounds like the tolerances of those hubs are complete shit, if you where to take full swings like they do in that video would you really expect it to work perfectly? That’s way over powering, if you can’t just tap it in gently with a hammer, you shouldn’t put it in anyway cause you’d never get it back out when it came time to replace them. Besides I’d love to see a video of him full swinging onto the bearing and hub! After breaking it he could send it back and just tell him you told me to “hit it with the hammer and it fuks up ill pay for it, what else can i say???” Well he didn’t say not to hit it super hard. HULK SMASH!

2 Likes

Just wait till you do get it all together, and you have to crush fit that retarded, rubber o ring between the axle spacer, there-By creating excess play between the hub and bearing. Than a weird sound and vibration comes from the wheel… I just leave it out, less play

I would have bashed the bearing in with a sledge hammer and then tell trampa its there fault both the bearings and the wheel are broken "Send replacements :joy: "

2 Likes