I’ve been a member on here sucking in the amazing amount of knowledge on these forums trying to find the best solution for my needs. It started when I saw someone on my flickr feed making and eskate based on a beercan boards deck and I was hooked.
Without a lot of thought I ordered the deck and it’s great.
I only ordered the deck, but for some reason it came with wheels and trucks. Sadly I’d already ordered some trucks and the wheels would be too small and not work for the pulleys.
I went for the standard Caliber II trucks in black.
Next up I want to get a motor and a motor mount in the UK to save on shipping. I went with the Alien drive options for these.
Now my original plan was to go with pneumatic wheels. This was for two reasons:
- The pavement and road quality around here is terrible.
- To give me better ground clearance for the batteries, due to the deck choice.
I research loads of options and decided to go for some Skike 125mm wheels and tires. I ordered these from Skike and then got a local machine shop to machine them down. Thanks to the advice from a couple of people I knew they needed 1cm machining off the inside and the bearing carriage adjusting to suit.
It was not without it’s headaches, one wheel shattered when being machined. Luckily I ordered 6 so had some spares!
Unfortunately this is where I ran into an issue, basically the wheels are too big for this deck. There is not enough clearance when turning and I was going to get terrible wheelbite.
I tried various fixes, including moving the trucks to a standard mount instead of drop through. I even 3d printed some risers to give me even more clearance, but alas it’s not going to work with some drastic deck modification.
However with the risers in place I remeasured the ground clearance for my batteries and it’s now no longer an issue. They are higher than the trucks so won’t be the lowest point on the board.
So I researched some other alternative wheels. In the end deciding on the Trampaboards Stickies in 83mm size. As they were a great price and UK based.
The board is looking ace with it’s black and red theme. Mostly I didn’t go out of my way to pick a colour for the parts, it just ended up like this.
Next up was the batteries, I originally wanted 10S with loads of capacity, but looking at the space I had I ended up going for 2 x 4S 10000mAH options. The Turnigy Graphene Professional 10000mAh 4S 15C LiPo Packs to be precise.
They ticked the box for size and capacity and were on offer at Hobbyking so I ordered them. I wasn’t expecting them to come so well packaged!
Next up is to work out the best way to mount the batteries to the board. I need to get designing some brackets and covers. At the moment, I plan to mount the batteries at each end in the middle of the deck and put the vesc between them. I will need to make some attachment brackets and a cover. I think the cover will be either aluminium or carbon fibre depending on my final design.
I hope that all make sense, I will update this post when I have progress. I’m still waiting on my VESC to arrive from Enertion and I’ve preordered the new Nano-x controller so that will be coming soon hopefully. I picked up a GT2B in the meantime so I can at least get started before that arrives.