Beginner ESK8 Looking For Advice

These guys are in the UK I think. If I ever needed a crazy custom motor, they are the folks I’d buy from.

You are probably looking at 15 tooth motor pulleys and 32 tooth wheel pulleys. 80mm wheels are fairly small. These ratios are pretty close to what evolve uses.

I second @Andy87 note on both the kv rating and motor vendor. Unikboards is solid.

I got 149kv for a off-road build that never happened. 170kv is a nice balance.

I have a 200kv 4wd (6369) that still has enough torque to break 12mm belts if Starts are too aggressive.

1 Like

Is a 170KV dual motor setup, Flipsky 4.20 dual and two turnigy 5000mah 5s 30C batteries in series an ideal configuration?

This is running a flipsky 4.20, smaller 5060 motors at 150kv motors (stock evolve) running at 40a battery max each (total 80amps from battery).

It is punchy and fun, but isn’t going to win any races, tops out around low 20s.

The battery is 10s5p li-ion cells. I’ve started using lipo on raceboards. They have been disappointing for distance riding.

The mechanics you are leaning toward seem reasonable/workable. What are your energy requirements? Are lipos new to you or are you an RC guy with the background?

1 Like

Everything is new to me! I just want a board that is has a load of torque with a top speed of around 25mph. I’m using it to get to and from work. There are a few hills along the way so that’s where the torque comes in but who doesn’t like speed :slight_smile:

the sk8 6374’s are great motors. just a shame they’re so fucking long. dual sk3 6374’s will fit on tb218s but the sk8 ones will be a very very tight squeeze. with my mounts it wouldn’t fit so i used the FatBoy 230mm hangar instead. left me with a bit of leeway 20190201_222136

1 Like

That’s a nice setup, what gearing and size wheels do you have?

at the moment they’re 107s on 16/36 but I’ll be changing to 40t soon

Hi All,

Following your advice I put together a little schematic detailing component specs and configuration. Let me know what you think! What could be better and why?

Not sure whether to have 83mm or 110mm wheels? Done the ESK8 calculation and it seems the board won’t have a very high top speed but I assume it will have plenty of torque.ESK8%20Wiring%20Diagram

1 Like

Normally you connect your loop key on the positive side. :slight_smile: Otherwise it looks good.

Also don’t forget about charging the batteries. Are you gonna balance charge them or use a bms?

if you are still looking for wheels and pulleys for you build, I’ll leave this here

I’m in the UK too

I think you should go for bigger wheels if they are both available to you. I’ve rarely thought to myself, “I seem to be floating over these cracks on the road too easily, maybe smaller urethane might liven things up”. Nice schematic.