Beginner - Help with my 1st Esk8

Hello, I’m trying to build my first eskate. I’ve spent last few days reserching and i think I come up with a good list of parts, but I have a couple of doubts and I’d love some advice.

I already own a longboard with good caliber trucks.

PARTS: Motor: I know this have high Kv (expecially with VESC), but all the lower Kv motors are Out of stock on HobbyKing Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6354-260kv

Mount and pulleys: This are cheap, i know, but I am on a budget :cry: Electric Skateboard Belt Motor Mount Bracket Pulley Screws For 83/90/97MM Wheel

ESC: Here is one of my doubts, better a VESC or a Fvt 120a . I live in Europe, I can get a VESC for around 110$ so the FVT is 60$ cheaper.

Battery: If I buy a VESC I’d take
2X series ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 5S1P 20C or 2X series ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 4S1P 20C With the FVT I’d take 2X parallel Zippy Flightmax 3000mAh 6S 20C

Wheels: Flywheels clone 83mm from ebay (I don’t have a link yet)

Remote: HobbyKing® ™ HK-GT2B 3CH 2.4GHz trasmettitore e ricevitore w / ricaricabile Li-ion

Charger: IMAX B6AC V2 Professional

Thanks

if you buy VESC, then you should go 2x4S because you would exceed ERPM limit with 10S… IDK what trucks you have, but if you have caliber then I higly recommend to buy a diferrent motor mount, because that one sucks…However if you dont want a mount that cost arm and leg, this one might be ok, but you will have to use a lot of epoxy, probably modify your truck a little and in the worst scenario you would have to weld part of the mount…

Hope you have ABEC11 wheels or their clones…

By this https://sdp-si.com/eStore/CenterDistanceDesigner you might face some belt skipping, because the 12 teeth motor pulley is too small…

Here is your max speed: http://calc.esk8.it/#{“batt-type-lipo”:1,“batt-cells”:8,“motor-kv”:260,“system-efficiency”:90,“motor-pulley-teeth”:12,“wheel-pulley-teeth”:36,“wheel-size”:83}|

Also the Motor is rated from 8S to 10S…

I recommend buying the VESC, because itgives you better ride…But it is much more expensive (Do not buy MayTech or Flyer VESC, they will probably come without firmware and the wont last long)

agree with aigenic VESC the way to go.

1 Like

I agree with the others on the VESC. It’s versatile for future projects and gives you nice gradually available brakes (even on a single motor build). I would recommend esk8.de in Europe for decent (German) build quality and service when you would break it.

For the motor, I would recommend a 6374 SK3 for a single motor build. I’m surprised nobody mentioned that. I’m a dual guy and I have no real experience with singles, but when I see them pass on the forum it’s usually a 6374 type. (feel free to comment on this)

Motor mounts for caliber trucks, I’ve seen @Shogu12 selling them for around 30$ and they look very decent.

Pulleys and belt, I would not cheap out on the drivetrain of your board. If you build correctly, the only thing that wears will be a belt and you should choose one that’s easily available (get some spares actually) to not have downtime with your board. (I’m actually looking into a good Europe supplier myself so recommendations WELCOME) (Rsonline still seems overpriced, unless I buy x100)

The remote GT2B is definitely a good one and a lot of users on this forum swear by it. Although I would not see myself holding this next to my e-board as it is gigantic (personal opinion). On this forum various users have modded it with 3D prints to make it nice and ergonomic.

Options there:

Steez remote (I swear by this remote, I’m so happy with it !)

Websites and prices are just an indication of controllers btw. You will find them cheaper/ faster shipping if you google further.

and WELCOME :wink:

I have the 6354 260 kv and like it.

Heeey, I didn’t say it was bad. With belts breaking here and there, I’ve ridden some single 6354 myself. I’m just saying we’re talking about a 10-15 euro difference. If the bigger motor has less power consumption for the same load, it’s winning. I guess the biggest decision point in this is rider weight. If you’re below 75 kg’s a 6354 is fine I guess…

I’m running a single 6374 enertion motor (made by maytech i think) and these are my top speeds. I weigh around 68 kg

1 Like