Belt length, belts width, and belts pitch

Okay, so I’m teaching my neighbor about esk8 because he saw mine and wanted to build his own! He saw my gearing setup along with the belts and pulleys and said “how does belt length, belt width, and belt pitch effect speed and torque?” And I had no clue what to say, so I said I would look it up. What is the correct answer😂 Also, does the belt need to match the pulley size, or can you have a smaller belt on a bigger pulley?

the pitch refers to the size of the teeth ie. 5M = 5mm pitch, the width allows you to make more surface contact on the pulley, in theory more contact = more torque. So in short, you need the pitch on your belt to match the pitch on your pulleys, and in an ideal world more width = more surface contact = more torque. however a better way to get more torque would be to change your gearing ratio.the minimum alot of people would run for a single motor is a 12mm belt, as a 9mm belt would likely break with the forces we introduce by hauling ourselves up these hills :wink: . however ive seen lots of dual 9mm belt systems. As for belt length, im not 100% sure on this one, but i believe different lengths essentially just accommodate different motor mount lengths. That’s my 2 cents on your question(s), someone feel free to correct me if im mistaken.

1 Like

@NewbieBoardBuilder it’s great that you want to help your neighbor. Did you try to search for this answer on the forum before you asked this question? There are many threads about each of these topics. Please use the search feature before you start a new thread.

1 Like