Belt size going from 13 teeth pully to 16 teeth pully

probably the hangup is mental model i have of the teeth gaps compressing as you tighten the bend radius of the belts.

3 Likes

so… on any pulley… is actually 2.5mm per added tooth, or in his case, a 340mm belt …

WAIT A MINUTE…

something just caught fire in my brain. I may be venting lithium, everyone stand back.

3 Likes

I think the diffrend is the diameter of the pully if the 13t pully is 20mm maby the 16t pully is 22mm then we only need a 335 belt with 67 teeth

think bend radius is the tricky one here its not just that simple to plus 3 teeth

Apologies for the tangent but you guys seem to know belts. Would there be any issues with running a 12mm belt on a 20mm pulley? I can’t seem to find the right combination of teeth and width in stock anywhere.

if the pulley will fit your axle space with motor mount should be fine as long as alignment is true. (a 20mm pulley is considerably wider). Measure your available distance first, or we talking motor spur gear? <== ive only run wider wheel gear to motor spur not vise versa.

Improvising maths… Didn’t read the whole thread, so maybe this was already mentioned,

But adding 3 teeth to a pulley adds 15mm to the pulley circumference, but as was mentioned, the part that is in contact with the belt is less than 1/2 of the circumference, so added length should be less than 7,5mm if center to center distance stays the same.

= I’d get a 335mm belt.

5 Likes

Exactly <3

Exactly <3

Haha

Why do I feel like @longhairedboy gave the right answer when it comes to our applications since we can still adjust belt tension on motor mounts.

Then someone got a calculator out and mathed it to shit…

@longhairedboy is correct if this would be the scenario - as shown in the drawing… Unfortunately belt would not move due to the idler pulleys keeping it in full contact with all the teeth, so that would affect riding slightly… :sweat_smile:

distance to idler pulleys is the same.

3 Likes

At least on my mounts it would be difficult to adjust for a 15mm diff in belt length with almost the same size pulleys…

Mine as well. But not after you get the different belt length. Then you’re adjusting very little

Of course i run them that way! lmfao that’s why i use bacon grease to let the teeth slip over each other.

1 Like

And I thought I was the only one. I use bacon belts though.

Yeah I’m talking about the motor pulley. I’d rather replace that one since wheel pulleys seem to cost about twice as much. My alignment is good and I have the clearance, so I’m thinking about trying it.

And this^ ladies and gentlemen is why I recommend purchasing an adjustable motor mount… we could all do the math if we tried but it’s easier to just buy the new pulley and adjust your mount instead of buying new belts and calculating the new length every time

If you’re responding to me, I’m getting a new pulley because I went from 90mm to 107mm wheels. But yes, everyone should get adjustable mounts if possible.

I have this problem becuse My mounts is NOT adjusteble but i Think i go with 335 and also get a 340 just in case

1 Like