Belt torture... NSFW

Hi esk8ers!

I’ve been riding my DIY board for a couple of months now and today my belt broke. Every time I braked I heard a weird “rattling” (don’t know a better word for it) sound, not from a motor driving but from the tires sliding on the road or the belt skipping a few teeth. I am still not sure why this was happening but because nothing broke for 3 months I thought it was fine… When I am braking it feels like the drive wheel is alternating between braking and not braking. The ESC I am using is the @torqueboards 6S ESC with his drivetrain. I have the breaking power set to 100%. I think the cause of the problem was that my belt was not tight enough.

How can I make the braking more consistent and smoother? Is my belt way to lose and was that the cause of my belt getting destroyed?

Video

1 Like

Not an expert or anything, but I’d say the belt is too loose.

1 Like

that is way too loose and your teeth seem to be grinded away completely. Look at metroboards belt tension video for an example of how it should look like

Yea that’s probably it. He mentions the weird sound I get when breaking, I’ll get a new belt and try to get the belt tensioning right. Thanks for the video! :slight_smile:

Oh no, you broke your timing belt! Better hope it didn’t bend any piston rods. At least valves are easy to replace.

1 Like

They are fine! :slight_smile: Anyone know where I could buy new ones? It’s a 265mm HTD5 9mm Belt. I know torqueboards are selling belts but the shipping is crazy expensive for 3 belts to Sweden. Where do people buy their timing belts?

This is where I got mine (I live in the states), though I’m sure you can find a more local source if you google 265mm HTD5 9mm.

http://shop.polybelt.com/265-5m-09-Rubber-Timing-Belt-53-Tooth-B265-5M-09BNG.htm?categoryId=-1

4,55€ in Germany

@Jinra & @Maxid thank you so much! :slight_smile: I know that 265 in 5M265 stands for the length but what does the 5M stand for? (the spacing between each rubber tooth?) How do you know the teeth are the right length?

Yep, if you check out my link it has a little diagram of where 5mm is measured. The exact specs of the belt are

265mm length 5mm pitch 9mm width 53T(teeth)

@Jinra thanks again but the shipping costs are too damn high. I bought 3 on ebay for 1/3 of the total price! :slight_smile: Found a good resource for understanding the belts.

I think I win

Damn, how did you manage to do that?

didnt tighten the belt enough.

This thread makes me sad

Is that really the way your meant to set up the belt to right tension.