Best ESC for mountain boards?

Does anyone know any good ESCs for trampa mountain board running on 12s 9000mah?

Thanks in advance,

Vesc-x speaking from my personal experience.

The ollin vesc is also robust enough to handle mountain boards.

Trampas working on the v6, beta is out soon.

Fvt ESCā€™s are okay but kinda scary

Anything else will fail

Actually using Robbe Roxxy 9120 OPTO with additional Cap Bank from YGE.

This combination works good at the moment, without Capbank i burned 2 of the Roxxys. They are extremely powerfull compared to a VESC 4, but not that smooth !

Also IMO its important with most ESC and in every case with the Roxxy that you make sure to protect them agains dust and debris and vibrations. Im using some thick foam rubber under a UK Box :

After my expierence its the by far better way to use some velcro and foam rubber to mount this ESCĀ“s then to direct fix them without damping. Other RC-ESC like HW Max6 handles this good, but Roxxy dont. Also its more easy to maintenace the truck or use the adjusters with a easy removable Box :wink:

1 Like

a dumb question, but is there a way to remove this ā€œbike brakingā€ noise with non VESC ESCs? Where does this comes from?

Thanks!

Some RC ESCs brake by shorting the motor coils. To make this controllable they do it with PWM. So what you hear is the PWMed shorting of the regenerated motor current. Others may regenerate to the battery, but with low PWM frequency which is in the hearable spectrum.

As long as you canā€™t change the PWM frequency or the complete software of the ā€˜non VESC ESCā€™ you canā€™t change the noise it makesā€¦

Its weiredā€¦ depends on combination of used motors also. Hobbywing Max6 with Sk3 the Brakesound is horribleā€¦ with Alien HEV alot better. In generall the Roxxy is the silents Rc Esc i tested so farā€¦

@Duffman @Kaly How about fvt / maytech 12s escs? Are they loud when braking? My fvt 6s is silent when braking, paired with sk3ā€™.

Anyone tried torqueboard ESC on a mountain rig?

I still have the TB ESC 2 years latter. Pretty robust esc.

@okami the FVT esc makes a noise but to me is not a biggy. I have always like a auditory feed back from the board. After getting to know your setup, you can tell if things are ok just by the sound.

@Kaly Do you know anyone who has made a video if it? At least I think I havent heard the sound in the videos Iā€™ve watched of you ridingā€¦ but im also not sure which escā€™s in which video u use :slight_smile:

So if you have ā€˜ā€˜recordedā€™ā€™ the braking sound of 12s fvt escā€¦ that would be nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good to hear ā€¦I got a deal on two used ā€¦Planing on throwing them on the Trampa when I part up

can people post videos of the noise while braking ? that would help ! cause to me; the noise break is really a no go for a mountainboard.

I think these Toro Escā€™s does make some nasty soundsā€¦ at least I remember a thing or two I heard about them long time ago on this forumā€¦

@lowGuido Can you tell your experience - which are the most noisy car escā€™s u have used?

Do you still sell those remotes Kaly? I can not figure out how to PM.

Toro were louder than most. The hobby king ones werenā€™t too bad. Its only car escs that make the noise.

Is there a valid reason why a standard VESC would not work for a mountain board? I am looking into a 10s3p or maybe 10s4p battery pack which powers up two 6374 motors.

Toro sounds like train brakes

https://youtu.be/xSYDCbZolnA end of video I have maytec 12s on my trampa. I can say brakes r almost silent. Ppl donā€™t hear me coming into interactions or about to pass then. A little tricky to get used to after having the skyrc Toro on my other boards.

Looking to build a board (on a semi budget) for my wife. Considering the Hobbywing MAX6 V3.

How is the breaking of that ESC? Donā€™t care as much about sound/good if people hear us coming ;). Is it progressive and related to the PPM signal/can you precisely control the brake force?

The Brake of the MAX6 is very good IMO. Good to control and also adjustable. Only downside is the noise.

1 Like