Bestech 12s BMS wanted

, ,

Okay thanks. I have just seen this post earlier https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/small-bestech-bmss/25819

@Namasaki - where does the power generated by braking go? I’ve read somewhere that Bestech BMS does not support regenerative braking.

From my experience I would have to say that is not true

Thats cool then. Just got 3 D233V1 :slight_smile:

I have a voltage meter visible thru the top of my board and can see the battery voltage climbing while braking down hill. The bms does appear to prevent overcharging from regen brakes though. I have tested it braking down a steep hill with a full battery.

Where does the generated energy dissipate to? They have braking resistor of sort?

I’m not positively sure but I believe it uses the same over charge protection that it uses when your charging. And it trims high cells the same way as it does when balancing

And if we already have an anti spark switch can both be connected?

Sure, you can use the built in switch to turn the bms on and a secondary external switch to turn the Vesc on. But put your battery meter in-between the bms output and the secondary switch so that it will come on while your charging so you can monitor the charge.

Do you still need to turn the BMS on while charging and turn it off after it reaches EOC?

Yes, you definitely need to turn the bms on while charging. I would also recommend turning it off when charging is complete

is there any particular reason people get the bms with the switch… I feel like when I looked last on their site they sell a bms that doesnt require a switch…like most other bms’

The switch is a good thing. If you get a bms without a built in E-switch, you’ll need to use a loop key or buy an external E-switch.

yeah i get that but it seems more like a hassle in the sense that u get this bms with a switch, but u still have to wire another switch/loop key later if you want to cut power to the vescs but still be able to charge the pack… other wise if you use only this switch as your only on/off switch then the board has to stay powered on while charging…

I’ve been charging my boards for a long time with the vescs on and it’s never been a problem. Another factor to consider is that the Bestech E-switch doubles as a reset switch to recover the bms from protection mode. This can be very convenient. Other bms’s that don’t have a switch require you to disconnect the battery from the bms to reset it.