(Better than Freeboard) Bindings! finished 3d printable design in post#209!

Or maybe two of these in a T shape.

https://www.amazon.com/Smbbit-Stainless-Support-Corner-Bracket/dp/B06XKTKYKH/ref=sr_1_6

Edit: These are actually too small, but something bigger with a similar shape…

1 Like

Exactly the direction I was thinking

Ok guys, have a neat idea to make it very light. Who can help me with aluminum machining (simple part)? I would like to not go in the direction of bought brackets - this brings us back to low grade steel and ugliness😀

2 Likes

@akhlut @moon maybe?

Aesthetics are certainly important

Without tool You can’t switch regular > goofy You can’t change height

This too!

Doubt Freebord would be willing to sell parts

1 Like

The rotating part is very important, even having these bindings slightly in the wrong place means they are quite uncomfortable.

I ride this 20190219_182119

The metal plates that screw to the deck are not too heavy guys. The best plan would be to get those parts made in ali and then print the foot retaining part.

2 Likes

Quick, but secure, no fail ratcheting up/down/around

3 ratchets is what I thought would achieve that

Someone linked just the plates earlier for $17 a piece. Not ideal price but if you have a 3d printer it brings the grand total to ~$35 a set.

I’d love to see aliexpress sell them for $7 a set though :sweat_smile:

The other thing we need to consider is these are pretty much set and forget. Once you find your position you leave them there, so quick adjusting isnt really necessary

I see it now!

True, $34, with a strong possibility of a supply chain cut

Makes quick esk8 swapping easier between riders, not just goofy/regular, but every stance variation of each

If you dont have rotational adjustment in the top bit that means you also have to adjust the bottom bracket too to accomodate regular/goofy swaps other wise when you swap the bindings will make your feet turn inwards instead of outwards.

Just shooting stuff I have found into the air

1 Like

here’s the link to the adjustable base plate - warning, this is not to scale.

@danile if you are willing to scale this and add the file that you printed to the plate, we would have a complete file.

5 Likes

This is the rough model of what I’m thinking, combining milled aluminum parts and a 3 printed binding. The binding itself will need some sort of strengthening, like an epoxy bath or CF wrap or something. I just don’t see any 3d printed filament lasting under the kind of stresses we would put on it.

8 Likes

I can machine simple aluminum parts, in the US

3 Likes

Guys, thank you all for the inputs.

Just to understand the procedure: suppose I want to use one of these, so I replace the existing hardware with longer bolts and screw this on top? Using bigger washer I suppose?

Could existing users measure the following:

1. The height of the vertical metal part.
  2. The spacing between two adjustment holes - basicaly the resolution of the vertical adjustment.
  3. The width of the vertical metal part.

Freebords site lists the weight as 1lb for the whole set, is this the case? Is it considered a lot?

So, this can proceed in two ways:

1. Either do a variation of the existing bindings with identical basic design and adjust to 3d printing/aluminum base.
  2. Another idea is to use vertical pole made out of carbon. Will need redesign of the base plate, still manageable. Will greatly reduce the weight! (Honestly this is more interesting, as variations already exist)

What do you say?

Thank you!!

It can be managed, the design should take this into account.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Care to share the cad file? Fusion?

@Mobutusan asked in another thread if we’re planning anything in this area.

I can understand the attraction, but it’s not an area for which I have anything new planned in the near future. You never know though… If enough people want something then we listen. But for us the demand would need to be in the thousands not hundreds.

We did something like this back in the day - circa 2002 on a kids board called the Ambush Scout.
No good pics on hand unfortunately… Ambush%20Scout Ambush%20Scout_1

As far as design input goes it seems like what you’re planning here is basically right. The challenge I found was finding the right balance between functionality and comfort.

If you just want a bit of extra “security” then I’d focus on something small closer to the toe edge of the board like a glorified foot stopper so it doesn’t hurt the top of your foot when your heel lifts a little when you do a toe side turn.

If you want to actually get your board off the ground you need to come up close to the ankle (centerline of board), but it can be quite uncomfortable there due to the rigidity required from the design, so lots of padding is key in my opinion (ergonmics can’t do it all). Just do a bunch of 3D printed protos because the balance between comfort and functionality is much easier to feel than envision.

Of course I’d like to see more people make the jump up to actual bindings like the F5. Apart from the obvious objective to sell more :partying_face:, I feel they allow you to take your riding to the next level (even on-road). You can jump up and down curbs and they prevent you from getting thrown inadvertently (rock or braking mishap). I can certainly understand how they freak out non-mountainboarders though. For anyone in the habit of jumping off boards in motion bindings are just a bad idea in general.

Hope that helps…

8 Likes

Ive got a ton of Carbon Fiber and Epoxy left from skinning my enclouser I could give it a shot.

Ive also got the 3d printer to print it.

53 mm | 2.086 inch (including baseplate which is 5 mm | 0.197 inch thick)

5 mm | 0.197 inch (center to center)

50.45 mm | 1.986 inch

Not at my scale :laughing:

Whole set including hardware: 0.66 kg | 1.46 lb 1 metal plate : 0.2 kg | 0.44 lb 1 hook: 0.15 kg | 0.33 lb

For comparison I checked the weight of Trampa bindings with hardware, it’s 0.53 kg | 1.17 lb.

My S2 bindings are unused and I still don’t know if I ever use them. I can imagine they are uncomfortable without cushioning.

My personal favourite bindings are @MBS F5 with F5 heel straps, just perfect :ok_hand:.

8 Likes