Blew up my Vesc but why?

Well yeah… I agree…

but try to explain that to these kids that save up all their pocket money to buy the vesc and then blow it up… they get really upset and need to blame someone.

Our terms and conditions clearly state that it’s not covered under certain use cases… people will still complain though.

Now…The platinum vesc warranty is legit though… if your shit breaks you get a new one… simple as that.

We are able to offer this because of a simple calculation on failure rates… we know about 3% of people will fuck their vesc up somehow… the problem is it seems most of the people who fuck their vesc didn’t buy the one with the warranty…

I will definitely make it more clear on the website that we are not responsible for it once it has been modified.

This is a great question… I’m glad you asked…

First, have you run your own business before? Because if you haven’t you clearly have no idea what it’s like. If you have hopefully you will understand.

Here are few things

1. I am meant to be a stay at home dad…
  2. I was running the business three days per week.(when my boy was at day care)
  3. In November 2015 I launched the raptor and the business grew 1400% over 6 months…
  4. I started hiring staff and trying to train them. I lost some and gained some more… it takes time and mistakes are guaranteed.
  5. I am still in my garage.
  6. I am still (meant to be) working three days per week and looking after my 2yr old boy.
  7. I have a new 30 day old baby.
  8. My wife needs help due to complicated birth and surgery.
  9. I am drastically trying to improve our services and systems… it takes time. Training people takes months. Implementing new system takes months.
  10. I again, lost some staff during this time. Need to hire more and train them.
  11. I am also trying to grow the business and improve our offering and keep innovating… That takes time.
  12. I am a popular guy in the world of esk8 buildinh… I get hundreds of emails each day from non paying customers wanting advice on esk8…
  13. Ordering stock to meet demand is a full time job. We have around 10-15 key suppliers many of them making oem custom parts… if stock is not ordered and delivered on time everything falls over…

I am one of maybe 3-4 business in the entire world selling this niche products into a rapidly growing market…

Demand is greater than supply…

So can you understand? Do I need to explain this further? I am not amazon!!!. I’m just a dude in a garage trying to follow my dreams…

So back off.

4 Likes

The thing is, he can’t. He’s stated before that selling them at $120 was basically at cost of parts to him. So he would lose money upfront from the sale.

He’s stated he over specs his components, in an attempt to make a more robust vesc that can handle a bit more abuse.

My question is, why does he spend so much more on components than you for a vesc, if cheaper components were just as good?

At the end of the day, this issue of pins cutting into power wires is just sloppy manufacturing. I don’t doubt they are manufactured to IPC2 standard, I’ve just lost my respect for that standard. Never heard of this happening with a non-enertion vesc. Every batch, it’s always something.

Here’s a thought @onloop. Maybe sell another esc for those who need a cheap option and the vesc platinum with warranty for those who can spend a bit more?

The thing is, people buy them not understanding how likely it is to break on them. They were told by the forum they are the best speed controller (and they are), but they have been gaining a bad reputation, due to so many of them breaking. Your not the only vendor on here, yet Its rare to see a forum post about a chaka vesc being broken, or anyone else for that matter. 9/10 times, its an enertion vesc. Now you sell more, so that’s the excuse. But I would ask, if you sell 1000 vesc, how many of those vescs goes to a customer on this forum? I would be willing to bet chaka is supplying at least 1/4 of the vesc members on this forum use. if you supply half, lets say, that still doesn’t explain why 9/10 are enertion. You see, the math just doesn’t add up to explain it away as you sell more than others, thus you see more of mine breaking.

A broken vesc topic doesn’t have to be “it’s broken, what do I do?”, but “why is my vesc not working?”, which leads to figuring out the problem is it’s broken. No reason it can’t happen with a chaka vesc too. You won’t get that first case with chakas vesc really, cause they know what to do. But usually, people like to confirm something broken with the community if they don’t have a gigantic gaping hole in their vesc (and sometimes, it’s not really broken. I helped someone firgure out they had wrong settings, and not a physical problem the other day).

@Svenska Thank you for your opinions. You gave me some perspective in an area I don’t know enough about (I should know more). My only counter argument is that those kinds of open source hardware are being bought often because they are open source. They are people who know how to write software, and understand he hardware at least on a more familiar level then your average consumer. Now with the vesc, it is marketed to your average consumer. It’s been made into a consumer level product, and if you are going to turn an open source, unpredictable product into a consumer product, than you need protections in place to protect the consumer. It’s not sold to the same type of people. Which is why protections need to be in place.

Maybe he simply has more customers than Ollin? And (most likely), he has less educated customers, as Ollin is kind of an inside tip.

But tbh, i killed 5 vescs so far(2 Enertion, 2 Ollin, 1 Esk8.de ), it always was my fault, i never ran to the forums and cried about it.

Also, i am running 4 Enertion VESCs in builds i made with no problems so far. i also have Ollin vescs with heatsinks for high Current or FOC setups, but i still think Enertions 99$ vesc is a ggood if you want more bang for your buck. (i can do a Dual instead of a mono for nearly the same prize)

1 Like

Its marketing spin… Hes using all the parts as per vedder bom… unless he has changed the design of the vesc (which he hasnt) he is using the parts we are all using.

The only risk with vesc is buying from China as they often use substituting with fake parts.

Kudos to those of you who make VESC available to the community. That’s you @Onloop, @Chaka, and @torqueboards (might’ve missed others)!

Like @Svenska mentioned - something open source and effectively a BETA product is not something you’d normally get ANY warranty with. I’ve had great experiences with Enertion the last time i had an issue they more than surpassed what i expected (speed of shipping and really no questions asked).

But when you are working with an ESC like VESC - it’s going to sometimes fail. Pressure puncturing the wire sheath is going to depend on your installation, and cannot be bench tested before shipment. It’s not a QC failure - it’s an install failure. If you are going to have it smashed into an enclosure, or press it down too much installing it elsewhere - this is your install issue, not a failure of the product. Now knowing your placement - and being informed of this possible failure point - you can remove the shrink, inspect, and eliminate those pins to avoid the potential issue. That requires you to be A) aware and informed, and B) willing to be responsible for your own install and set expectations according to the method you purchase the VESC. (99 budget = no warranty and on your own, or more elsewhere or more for the extended warranty option). Or buy version with a warranty, or pay to have it repaired if possible. There are a few who will do this, but it’s not cheap.

This is DIY after all. If you are on a shoestring budget - then you are even more responsible to do your research, determine likely failure points, and inspect and adjust to mitigate them.

saving up some $ and buying the least expensive option possible, with no research, no planning and slapping it together is a recipe for disappointment.

I’ve killed my fair share of hardware. I own the install and any failures were typically due to my lack of experience or poor install. I killed two VESCs (in a row) bench testing and repeating a failure (for science?) was poor judgment on my part. I did learn how to repair the DRV chip(s) as a result, and didn’t call the place i bought it from and complain their VESC failed. Own your own shit and figure out how to fix, or pony up $ for a new one, and be more careful next time testing or installing!

I’ll keep buying the un-warrantied options and save that extra $ to buy a few extra DRV chips, or towards an upgraded solder station, or towards another battery pack…

My .02.

Seems like a vesc repair service is for you

Okay so that’s what I was asking for. Just a simple answer :

1. Do I get a chance to get a new one without spend a penny because the vesc blew due to manufacturer problem.

2. Buy the enertion platinum even though it was because a manufacturer problem then anyway you can get a new one and no worries in this whole year!

I’ve sent massag via email and forum to you and enertion support 14 days ago just wanted to know what you guys could offer. One of your new number told me to wait a few days more plus you didn’t replied either email or forum text. Luckily you finally replied in this thread…okay I’m about to buy the platinum now and send my vesc back to you. Hopefully I can get a new vesc within… let’s say half month?

So I still reckon enertion is a wonderful brand just doing things bit slowly…perhaps few months later those staff will be solve and everything works perfectly. Um. :nerd:

I do run a business, I deal with customer, I deal with suppliers, I deal with staff and the mandatory issues that they all bring. It’s called running a business, it’s not easy.

However you decided to do all this so don’t start complaining how hard your life is, you decided to market to grow your business and most of all you decided to blurt out your sales volumes not thinking someone would think to call you up on the fact that your making good bank and somehow can’t figure out how to sustain good customer service…throw some cash at it :+1:t2:

Don’t be that guy using a bag full of excuses to keep your bag full of cash cause I know which one will be empty first.

Most importantly wtf are you on here answering my ridiculous rant, could you not of answered all those emails you never have time for.

3 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Is the Ollin VESC using upgraded components?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Is the Ollin VESC using upgraded components?

@onloop you should get my vesc already. Please replace another one to me, thanks…

Brand new vesc sent out today!

Thanks a lot. Gonna do well on this one lol

Hey after the other thread got closed (no idea why) I wanted to ask @onloop:

You confronted @chaka to not be open about the improvements he made and the parts he used. Now I just had a look at your instagram and it looks like you have a new capacitor board that makes it easier to combine two VESCs. Are you sharing the PCB design with us so that we can also use it?

Yep. Shared it weeks ago.

Can’t see a Gerber or Eagle file - just showing the drawing is not sharing. Please include the actual files so that other people can reproduce this.

i don’t have those files, i am not an electronics engineer, i simply paid my factory to make this…then i shared the drawings. maybe someone with those skillz or that software can make the files for everyone.

Thanks enertion got my new vesc which gets a new design… GOOD! Also easier to put in the enclosure and manage the dual setup for power supply wires!