Blown DRV8302 ? VESC not turning on

Okay, so should I simply remove it and try to power up, or does it need replacing before the VESC will operate? (I don’t use CAN at all so if it’s not needed to operate I won’t replace it)

The VESC can work without it normally except the CAN feature

1 Like

As Martin said, CAN chip. I’ve had vescs blow that chip/and shorting the vesc without the user using CAN. I have no clue why, someone smarter might have a idea :wink:

1 Like

Yes in my case, I shorted the CAN chip with a wrong cable supplied by Maytech themselves. Martin fixed the VESC for me, i can vouch for his service. But in the end the Maytech VESC’S were of not really good quality and I replaced them with ESCapes from @stewii which work like a charm!

Yeah my next vescs will ESCapes for sure.

Did the CAN chip break the VESC, or was simply removing it sufficient to get the VESC running again. In other words am I going to need a VESC repair or can I just remove the CAN chip?

I was, or I am using CAN, so Martin replaced the chip for me. But if he says removal is enough to get the VESC running again then i guess it’s enough. (sorry, no VESC expert here) Martin’s explanation was that the broken CAN chip is shorting the VESC and that is the reason why it can not power on. @pennyboard

1 Like

Would someone be able to tell where the CAN chip is located on the VESC? @sMATTEr @Martinsp

1 Like

2 Likes

Guys, the blue sticker on there says “Destory, Invalid (Does not work)” “摧毁 无效” image

3 Likes

wow they had the balls to send you some bad hardware!!!

time for an email to them!

My guess is that this did not come directly from maytech, probably a vendor with access to the back door of the factory

Even with the drv cleaned up looks like a bad one, probably the can chip if gets hot under power per previous comments

IMG_9100IMG_9101

I’ve ordered my VESC’s directly from Maytech and they both had this sticker on it. I think it’s a warranty warning like “if this seal is broken your warranty will be invalid”. But when I send them messages asking for warranty repair because they supplied the wrong cable i didn’t got a single answer anyway. :joy:

I’ve never seen an ESC looking like that first picture brand new, it looks like it was dragged through a field backwards