Board cuts out under load / when accelerating (Nunchuk & VESC)

I received my vesc after the date in which the bug was supposed to be an issue. I will try updating the firmware just to be sure. thanks!

My receiver hasnā€™t been housed in anything while testing. :confused: iā€™m thinking maybe interference from the battery leads may be causing some issues even though theyā€™re not touching.

I can not comment on that yet haha, iā€™m still having problems with my board and until i can confirm that it is not an issue with the nunhcuk i wont be recommending it.

Good catch @Ackmaniac However, the firmware bug would multiply the default .04 by 10 making it .4 not 50.0 Something else happened here. Someone may have adjusted that setting incorrectly. @Charlie_H Set the ramp step at .004 and write config to the Vesc. Then read config and check to see if it multiplied. If yes, update firmware If no, reset value to .04 and write config.

When you read and write again then it multiplys each time. First time write at 0.04 read 0.4 Second time write 0.4 read 4 Third time write 4 read 40 fourth time write 40 read 50 (50 is max).

Same discussion here

2 Likes

I updated the firmware. Board still cuts out, iā€™m going to continue to increase my batt max value tomorrow to see what happens.

I have also ordered a cheap standard 2.4ghz 3 ch remote to see if that makes a difference

Didnā€™t know that. Thanks for sharing!

If itā€™s still cutting out at 50a, then something else is the problem. Likely the Kama remote These are really good:

@Ackmaniac @Namasaki Was this bug only present in BLDC Tool ports to OSX and Windows, or was it a part of the Linux rollout as well? I use Linux and I havenā€™t noticed this problem w 2.18.

@Charlie_H I started out using nunchuck and VESC. I eventually stopped using the nunchuck because of two main problems:

1. the issue youā€™re noting here. I couldnā€™t seem to get a smooth throttle curve using nunchuck. For some unknown reason (unknown to me, anyway) the nunchuck paired with the native VESC app only interpreted a few throttle strengths (it seemed like 0%, 50%, 100%). This meant that I would hit a voltage cutoff too often because the throttle would register at 100% unintentionally. Maybe I had a dud nunchuck, maybe something wasnā€™t set correctly, but I couldnā€™t get it completely resolved.

2. The other issue was random dropouts, presumably due to signal interference. I tried two different nunchuck\receiver combinations. They would work great 80% of the time but then once in a while the remote would lose signal. This is OK if youā€™re just riding in a driveway. For commuting itā€™s totally unacceptable.

I hope you can resolve your issues w nunchuk, but I couldnā€™t, so I moved on to a modded GT2B and it is rock solid after about 400 miles of riding. Not a single dropout, control is highly responsive, and the case mod even makes it look cool!

The best way to find out if its is the remote or the vesc is to NOT turn off your board after it happens plug in the vesc to BLDC tool and type ā€œfaultsā€ at the bottom of the terminal tab and you can see if there are any errors with the vesc. Also the red light on the Kama blinks for a few seconds when it about to or does disconnect. Though that is tough to see while your riding.

1 Like

It was fixed in the Linux version already end of June.

1 Like

Please remember this was actually a firmware bug so I believe it was present in all iterations for a few weeks but unless you updated the firmware it doesnā€™t mater which BLDC tool you use it will still be there. So in short get any current BLDC tool then update (or re flash) the firmware. It might be the same name and number. And you should be all set.

1 Like

When this bug was first discovered, it was reported that the issue did not occur when using linux bldc tool.

2 Likes

I will give it a shot! iā€™m bust at the moment, but i was also considering putting a raspberry pi with bldc tool on it on the board to i can log the data from the ride and see whatā€™s happening when it cuts out

I had these issues with nunchuck and other remote/receiver pairs, when the large currents ran too close to the receiver / receiver antenna!

to know for sure whats going on, provoke the cutout, then connect with your laptop without switching off the vesc, then type ā€œfaultsā€ in the console input of the bldc gui and check if there have been any drv errors ā€¦ and if so, which ones!

1 Like

I had the exact same problem as you did, but Iā€™m using 18650 cells in a 10S3P setup. Did you ever resolve this issue? If so, could you share your solution? Thanks.