Boardnamics CNC Motor Mount w/ Idler Tension System $40 ORDER NOW

Had a maiden / shake down ride today and after 30 mins the set screws started to loosen. I really think the V2 clamp is a must…

This is what you should all expect. Still tinkering a little but that is almost the “final” v2 clamp version. It should hold on really really good. Better than just about anything out there. It uses big m6 grade 10.9 fasteners and nylon locknuts instead of the softer stainless stuff. They are also being upgraded to 7075 T6 aluminum, which is basically the strength of steel. This should be bulletproof and I cant wait to get them made and tested.

The bolt holes are the same and thus totally compatible with the old style v1 arms. Everyone who has boughten my original kit will be given one of these for free, at the cost of shipping. It will really only be like $2-3. It makes shipping them easier too as I can directly ship them through paypal which saves me time.

3 Likes

Looking great. Nice work.

you ever consider sinking the nuts into the alu? would save a bit of space and make it easier to tighten and loosen cause you’d only need one tool

3 Likes

Like that idea :+1:

Hey. What is the vertical length of clamp?

It would severely weaken that side to have it hollowed out. Also, countersinking a nut especially with that design would be very hard to do. It would then have to be machined twice on different axis which would raise the price significantly. @grozniy The length from top to bottom is 63mm, diagonally the longest point is about 68mm. I don’t think anyone uses below 83mm around here realistically so this should be good.

2 Likes

I bought two of your mounts and I have to say, despite not being able to fit them yet, I’m impressed with the setup.

I’m keen to grab two of your V2 clamps but wanted to ask if it was possible to get it machined so that it fits the Torque Board extended trucks? IiRC they’re the same shape, just thicker. I can send you measurements when they arrive if that helps?

About to cut my first prototype. It might be able to fit, unsure. If it doesn’t it should be very easy to file down. There is so much clamping force that it should be able to hold even though it wont have a glove-like fit. I believe they’re 1mm extra in just about every direction.

Did yours arrive yet? I have had issues with international shipping.

I tested the v1 on my own board yesterday and today, and it has been solid. I know that is no excuse for the designer to have success with the mount but yeah, I am liking it myself :smiley:

Yeah they arrived last week or so, just not been able to use them yet since my motor is stuck on my old mount (secured way too well). I’ll be fixing it up this week and testing it this weekend I hope.

Will send pics when all done.

Nice, good to know some people are actually receiving theirs…dang USPS! Let me know how they work even though the v2 is coming soon. For me they hold you just reallly have to torque them down, to the point where the 3mm hex key you use will bend.

Some crusty pictures of how mine is set up. Worked great for me so far without any thread locker. Still making the v2 soon and switching it over so keep your eyes peeled!

Edit: Don’t know why the pictures are sideways…

Personally the truck clamps I have didn’t work so great, but I think it’s mostly because the profile on caliber II trucks varies significantly from batch to batch. I think the 2 piece design is gonna be much better. Looking forward to it.

On a side note…if there are other trucks you are considering, I’d look at surfrodz. I think they are gonna be a big deal this year.

1 Like

This was the way I ended up securing the mount. I found drilling holes in your truck and sandwiching a piece of shrink wrap between hanger and clamp to work fairly well for the clamp piece but the motor plate kept moving no matter what I did. I used red loctite and even got longer bolts with lock washers and nylon lock nuts but it still ended up rotating down and scraping the motor on the ground. I ended up shearing off 2 of the bolts messing with it because of the loctite and just paid a guy to weld it. Also if you’re using 15 mm belts you will need a longer m8 bolt and extra washers to space the bearings evenly over the belt. I went with a button head bolt to reduce the space between the wheel and bolt.

A I really like the idler pulley there is never any belt skipping and it’s so easy to adjust the tension.

2 Likes

Dang…okay lol. I just had my mount finally loosen on me after going over really harsh roads. Granted I had no thead locker at all on the set screws but still. The v2 is coming along nicely. I just cut one and will post pictures tomorrow of the progress. Screws being ordered.

About the bolt shear…maybe I should switch those m4 screws to 12.9 instead of a2 stainless steel too. It is a compromise really. They’re basically twice as strong but they will rust eventually. Worth it?

It wasn’t your bolts that broke I used longer ones so I could add lock washers and nuts. I feel like the recessed slots are unessary and contribute to the loosing issue. They look great but would probably function better with just the narrow slot LOL I sound like Lenny Dykstra talking about slots

Alternate bearing setup to allow for atleast 107mm and 15mm

2 Likes

I am not quite sure how important it is to have the bearings cover the entire width of the belt. With such a low tension, they are really only slightly guiding the belt along anyways. I suppose when you are accelerating or breaking though the tension for the idler rises as it pushes the belt in the fixed geometry.

Still though, I don’t know how just having 1 bearing lets say, centered in the middle of the width of the belt would change much. It would increase the pressure on that width, (less area) but i am uncertain of that significance…

Nice job! I’m only using 83mm wheels my vesc overheats if I go any bigger. @Boardnamics I was having issues with the belt slipping around and coming off idler with 15mm, the 12mm works just fine with the stuff you include with the kit

Will order v2. I’ll watch this thread for up dates. I’ve retrofitted a idler to all my mounts but this looks nice.