Boosted v.s. DIY

Boosted advertises 14 miles on their battery when the board is in economy mode. I heard that its only about 6 miles in the highest mode.

Zombie thread resurrection I have a refurb boosted v2 + on the way, and before I break into it, I’m trying to determine whether or not it would be a good idea to sell it, and pony up for DIY similar to the Skate Metric Foosted build. I build decks and already have trucks as well as wheels, so my question is, can i do it for the cost. This is my first build, but I want more. I know I’ll be used to the v2 within a day or two, and the range just isn’t what I’m after. I’d love to see 10 miles at 25mph, but I still don’t know if that is doable for under 1k. (Trucks, and deck are covered already).

Why you don’t just stack up the boosted. Change the battery against a diy and the controller to focboxes or any of the dual Flipsky ones? I think for 1k that should be possible for sure.

I have designed quite a few different DIY boards. There definitely is an appeal to the boosted boards because of their reliability. To build a DIY boosted, like skate metric, you should be able to make one for a little cheaper. My main goal is speed and range. If you use dial 6355 motors with the Torque vescs and a battery from meepo or something similar, you should be able to do it. I have linked a few of my board part lists, but I go more for range and distance and some of them are incomplete. Especially if you already have a vanguard type deck, that’ll save you some money. The Focbox vescs are much better, but also 30$ more per. Just search around some threads, and I’m sure you’ll find something great. You can even get cheap motors on Flipsky or amazon for 60-70$ with more than enough power, but unlike TB motors, they are not nearly as reliable. Good luck!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pGeRMne8zVAoFW2rP3_y5AJz1oOI5bKH/view?usp=sharing

While that would be possible, it is both sketchy and difficult to modify a boosted board. They are designed for their parts and would take quite a bit of modification to fit different vescs and batteries. If he has enough talent, by all means he should go for it. It would just be easier and probably more reliable to make your own.

1 Like

I don’t think so. Don’t get it wrong, but the way I thought about is, Use only the deck, trucks, wheels motors and wires from the boosted. Change the enclosures to the ones from @Eboosted and fill them up with diy electronics. So basically just take off the boosted stuff and solder new connectors to the power lines and phase wires. That’s all.

1 Like

That is very true. I thought you meant to just swap out a few part. That is a great idea, but it’ll also be a little pricy because you are buying many of the parts + the boosted.

1 Like

I thought he already has or get a boosted + 1k to build. If it’s only one of both it’s sure not possible. For the rebuild of the boosted he would need as min 120$ for enclosures 250$ (or more depending on size) for battery 25$ for charge only bms 250-300$ for focbox/vesc 20-50$ for a remote +50-80$ for additional stuff like cables, plugs, fuses, tape, silicon, Bluetooth module etc.

• shipping of all the stuff on top

So 750$ min i think

The intention is to sell the boosted right when I get it (since I got a good price from a trade in of my broken v1, then parley that money (maybe about 1000 here in Utah). Then figure out what it would cost me to build my own from scratch, (building my own deck and supplying trucks. I’d need everything other than that from the get go.

I talked to Longhairedboy about it and with his standards of quality ect, he’s guessing somewhere around the $1200 range. One thing I wouldn’t want to skimp on would be control system. I’m used to the boosted controls, which almost always match inputs with little lag.

If there are ways to crank the boosted motors up and get bigger batteries, that would be good, but I might want to rock it at least for the 6 month warranty period. IF I do decide to boost my boosted, (I haven’t seen many people doing that) then objectives would be to get more acceleration, more top speed, and more range.