Boss level custom spot welder

I’ll survive. Lol

Almost 3500 welds strong on this welder now at 4s since. Received it.

2 Likes

hi there!

Thanks for your answer… I did test the nickel strips but only scraping with a knife before putting them into a salty bath. This is what it looked like after 24h. You can see the rust but its more visible on the picture than in RL.

So I took your advice and used a dremel to grind off the potential layers of nickel from the plate and guess what… This is the result after 24h of a salt bath. Only one pure nickel band which I received 2 days ago and didn’t used it for the welds in the video I posted above. I think the sparks come from the steel. Will test it again with pure nickel

3 Likes

Well that’s definitely naughty eBay ‘pure nickel’

On a side note - what do u use for cutting nickel strips? Do u use regular scissors or something more fancy?

Also - for those who use 4s lipo - what pulse time do u go best with?

I set it at 7ms in manual mode, 4s 60c 5ah heavy duty lipo… with shorter time welds dont come as consistent or somehow are blowing holes…

Though I somewhat think now I should have went with 3s lipo for 0.2mm strip

I do get burn marks, so it points in direction I shouls decrease the timing

Have you tried copper? I recently prepped mine for 4s but haven’t tried yet. Also that’s impressive. Good things can come in small packages.

I’ve got the. 2mm copper sheet to cut into strips. My intent is to use nickel strips from the battery to a copper strip. Will see how it goes in testing.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-FatMax-14-563-Straight-Aviation/dp/B00009OYFY

Something like that

When dremelling, the steel throws sparks, the pure nickel doesn’t, right? I don’t think the rust test is necessary?

1 Like

Sorry i can’t measure it now. I don’t have the tools with me and i am busy. i think they are half a mm or so.

ye…i was suspecting it was plated or very low purity. they must be 99.9% pure

i use titanium scissors but any tool can do as long as the cut is clean.

If you go for 0.2 copper make sure you understand that you will put your machine to the max. You can kill the fets so i do not recommend you it. 0.1 is way easier to do and not so dangerous for you and the machine. gloves and glasses are a must.

when welding sparks are a clear simptom of plated in most cases. Corrosion is good when you have doubts.

Define kill the fets. Like just one time is enough or welding spots in rapid succession at a high rate wont work?

One time? No of course not. You will need to set very high time flux and multiplier to weld 0.2 That will put your welder to the limit. Eventually it will kill your fets. 0.1 is way safer. That’s my advice.

Might as well solder it to then nickel then spot welds the nickel to battery.

I was weeding through the net for a sub $100 spot welder and stumbled across this gem. I happen to have a two 11.1v lipo’s from my airsofting days and was wondering if i could use it on this spot welder: https://www.evike.com/products/43241/ (I know i gotta change the connector to xt90). I also have a pair of 7.2v lipos if it means anything.

I don’t think so. Those lipos look too weak for spot welding. Seems people is having issues with low C lipos while good C lipo users have great performance. 65-130 C 5000 mah are the magic numbers.

1 Like

hmm, if I put the two 11.1v lipos in parallel I can get 40c consistant and 80c burst. I guess Ill try to parallel them before i set out to buy a new one. Hate for these to go to waste. Off topic question, im planning on removing the cells from a stock battery that came out of a eboard, is it possible to reuse the factory bms? (weld new cells onto it) Edit: just saw a dude in this thread was having trouble with is 7ah 60c, doubtful me paralleling my lipos will work :[ worth the try i guess Edit 2: after some learning, now i know wiring in parallel doesnt increase the C rating. but it increases the amps that can be drawn from the pack. Amps and C rating isnt the same thing and it wont make a difference in my case here?

Yes you can use the bms as long as it is compatible and in good shape. And no, I don’t think just 2 of Those in parallel can provide amps enough for spot welding. Low C and low mah=low amps. Maybe you can sell them and buy a used lipo capable for this matter.

1 Like

Thanks, I guess ill invest my money and get a legit battery.

I hope 1800mAH, 65c constant, 130c burst will be enough?

nope, capacity needs to be higher. something above 5ah.

my 7ah 65c battery didn’t work properly

1 Like