Brake lights and Turn signals *Finally* for ANY ESC!

they’re probably 15w equivalent…

these high power leds can do 100+ lumen per watt. 250 lumen is plenty for most places…

still finishing up the schematic and cleaning the code. I made the circuit almost half as small. simple enough that a custom pcb doesn’t make sense, yet. at this size it would be pretty cheap…

Is that running off a an attiny85? If so can the Atiny really handle the current draw from those LED’s? Would love some documentation as well!

yea its the 85. the headlight has a mosfet for upto 500ma, and leds are ws2801 rgb. so its shared 5v, 1 pwm pin to control. no worries of power draw…just limiting overall current to <800ma for vesc.

I still have some changes to make on the code but the circuit is simple. just a few resistors and pins/connectors/wires. this is pinout for underglow/brake/turn lights. p4 is unused. i’ll update it with mosfet version soon…

about $20-30 on parts depending on led options…

1 Like

Thats awesome and super simplistic, I love it! Though in curious why you used that momentary switch, and what is it for?

thanks that was the idea… it connects p3 to ground when pressed :nerd: will be used to configure to a new remote + changing modes maybe…

for now I’ve been reprogramming it. but for someone without an isp programmer, or code phobic the button means I can seal away everything and leave reprograming as a bonus, not a requirement… :sunglasses:

I have enough spare parts to put together a kit, or ready to go set. pm if you’re interested.

I actually have a couple ATinys ive been wanting to use, so ill probably try doing this with them, just need to get the LED’s.

Wow, this is pretty amazing! Great work :slight_smile:

1 Like

make sure to get strips or pcb modules. not single leds they are a pain… lol

I want to try some rings next https://www.amazon.com/Adafruit-RGB-LED-Neopixel-Ring/dp/B00KAE3R1U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486069618&sr=8-2&keywords=rgb+led+ring

ok the brake and turn signal version is complete*.

but there is a small limitation that the ch1 input won’t be read while animating the leds. I tried to work around it with code but no real improvements so far.

With the headlight I wanted to have control at all times, but I didn’t want to lose the nightrider animations… :thinking:

you should probably slow down or stop if you need to adjust you headlight anyways right?

1 Like

my first custom pcbs from oshpark! $0.60 cents each! :sunglasses:

about half the size of the perfboard version and saves so much time! no more button, or jst for leds, soldered leads for a solid connection!

4 Likes

This project got pushed to the back burner for a bit. but now its back!

new updated pcb solders directly to the rx of the nano v2. Brake lights and underglow (headlight hardware done.coming soon in firmware)

Improvements: better pinout. easier to solder gnd/vcc planes added 2x mosfet addon board.

Firmware: ch1 (Brakes) clean up. ch2 (lights) interupt drive active high.

8 Likes

Amazing job!

1 Like

@saul can you help me set up something like that plz

pm send i want one brake light

Any news from you since 1 year…

1 Like

I think its safe to say this fell though. Alternatively you can see what @ricco is offering

2 Likes