Braking downhill

Hi all!

I’m having a little issue when braking downhill. I’m using the @Ackmaniac firmware on a fsesc 6.6 and I noticed that when I go downhill I can’t decrease the brake pressure. I can only release them. I don’t have issues on flat surfaces.

For example, going downhill If I brake 80%, then I release them a little to 60% nothing changes it is still at 80%. If I release them to 0% then I can apply 60%.

Any idea how to fix this?

I’m on FOC, I’m using skullboard hubs 1 (65kv).

Here my specs, motor 60, brakes -40, battery 30, regen -15. I tried brakes from 20-100, and regen from -8 to -15 (it affected brakes only at max speed).

I hope I explained myself lol, it’s Friday :smile:

1 Like

annoying as fuck! I bet its your remote. I had that a lot. the mini trigger shows the best at not doing this in my experience. modulation.

3 Likes

Have the same on my raptor 2 sometimes, dunno why

2 Likes

Do you think it’s the remote? I don’t recall having this issue when I was on stock FW. Admittedly I’ve run the stock one only for few minutes.

supposedly the remote COULD do huge precision and you could have great control but its lost int the physical interface. its like grand theft auto and going 200mph and controls that can move an eighth of an inch. I’m always skidding or crashing in that game.

I think its just a quality of the remote. try the mini trigger and see. I think theres some adjustability on the esc but really the problem is the remote.

1 Like

I have the mini trigger, and Ie don’t get why happens only downhill.

1 Like

i was braking down a couple of hundred meter downhill at 6% and had no problems rly, i could break harder or soften up to get more speed but no problems, i was running a focbox with a flipsky 4.12 over split ppm with that cheap 15€ mini remote.

1 Like

Did you use the stock firmware or the ackmaniac?

1 Like

ackmaniac yes, never had anything else. motor -60 and battery regen -8 each

1 Like

What’s your motor and battery min and max?

1 Like

I’m on FOC, I’m using skullboard hubs (65kv).

Here my specs, motor 60, brakes -40, battery 30, regen -15. I tried brakes from 20-100, and regen from -8 to -15 (it affected brakes only at max speed).

Thanks mate!

1 Like

how big is your battery?

Sanyo 10s2p

-15 Amps for each FOCBOX results in -30A in total for the battery for your dual setup. Your battery is only recommended for 8A (i mostly recommend to set the max 50% higher for stronger brakes). But your battery is just too weak for that power. So when you brake i guess the battery overshoots already quite a lot. So the FOCBOX works then at the amp and voltage limits. And even of you reduce the throttle a bit you still overstressed the system already so that it still works on the limit. Once you release the throttle and brake again the battery has a short moment to breathe and works better then. But that’s only a guess. Best would be you make a video with my app to see the relatime data while riding. By that we can have a very detailed look what is going on.

3 Likes

Oh I see! I’m going to try with a 12s2p Samsung 30q and see if it’s better.

Here is my ride: https://metr.at/r/DMkl7

Thanks mate!

1 Like

Another thing, the discharge rate for Sanyo 20700B is 15A according to the specs. 2p means I can do regen -15a on each vesc, Am I wrong?

Discharge does not equal charge. These are different numbers.

According to this: Panasonic/Sanyo NCR20700B 4000mAh 15A 20700 Flat Top Battery - Genuine – Liion Wholesale Batteries They have a max Continuous Discharge Current of 15A

It’s around 2A/listed as normal charge rate.

1 Like

Does it do it all the time or just on full charge downhill? Could be over voltage. That causes strange braking anomalies.

1 Like