Brand new SK3 168kV being uneven

If you have a spare motor with the sane size shaft, just use the ring off it. For the most part, all of them, as long as its the same size shaft, should be the same size

I personally don’t use cerclips on either of my motors, mainly just to make it easier to pull back apart. They bot run perfectly normal

I don’t, sadly, so I am better off just getting some from HobbyKing…

Don’t the 4 + shaped side screws get busted up? :open_mouth:

Just checked my sk3 and they have different size washers on there. Can only be a quality thing to allow for manufacturing tolerances. I would be replacing the circlip and running it. Not sure I’d run without it though if theres play on the shaft. If a bearing goes in there it can potentially cause a short and damage the controller. Never had it happen on a sk3 but it did occur on a loose shaft sk8 and they are identical inside apart from a sensor array. Back bearing imploded and that was that. Hk replaced vesc and motor. This was after 3 months too. As I said good back up.

IMG_0016 IMG_0017

2 Likes

Oof… :open_mouth: Gotta get that circlip…

Try a car shop or something. Its just an 8mm clip. Should be able to source it locally.

Even after I stripped this all down they still replaced it. I sent it in a box in bits and they still sent me a new one. Awesome service.

1 Like

That’s what I am not sure about. If I can source a circlip locally. :smiley: I will check. Thanks for the idea of a car parts store.

1 Like

Nope, not sk3 motors

The can gap is a little bigger without the circlip but oh well

3 Likes

I always love how chains look… But the coasting and range loss. :frowning:

Range loss???

Loose chains Vs tight belts.

How are belts getting better mileage?

1 Like

Chains are lower friction, get better range (only slightly) and better coasting all due to lower frictional losses. Most people don’t use them due to their noise and because they are messy due to having to keep them lubricated. I personally only use them and love them but I wax mine so no mess and I don’t mind the extra noise. They are super reliable.

4 Likes

Sorry about my uninformed blurt there. Did some research and can confirm that chains have some pros and cons, as do belts, and gears, and hubs… :smiley:

Yep, @Boxer86 is right they are great if you don’t mind the little extra noise and maintenance

Whats good enough for harley davidson is good enough for me. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Still offtopic but when I did research I realized that slack belts with some idlers to increase the teeth in mesh count is pretty much the same as chains. I still love the chain look more and they seem to be cheaper to setup than pulleys and belts. Sadly, gotta stay with Harley Davidson. :laughing:

1 Like

Was that from HobbyKing?

1 Like

What type of wheel do you use? I bought a chain kit, but had hard time making it match my wheel! I’m using flywheel (ABEC style) Had to drill through the sprocket and use two bearings as spacers between the sprocket and the wheel, but the whole thing kept coming loose. Any suggestion?