Build-A-Battery

Charging up this hill at about 20mph, I’m drawing about 54 amps from the battery. I’m 185 lbs and the board weights about 18 lbs. The motors do generate heat under heavy load conditions but it hasn’t been a problem. They have fan wheels that draw air through them and the aluminum sleeves act as heat sinks and quickly draw heat out of the motors. Most important thing is to run the max voltage 12s to keep current at a minimum

Battery was a little low only 44.7 volts Running at half throttle 19.7 mph

2 Likes

I read on another forum that lipos with low C ratings often have higher internal resistance than those with high C ratings. More resistance = more heat in the battery and less power to the motors Here is a Zippy pack with one bad cell. It was like this right out of the box. HK replaced it with a good one no problem. A good new pack should have less than 5 miliohms per cell.

Does it then make sense to use higher “C” batteries like 30C over 20C? Is it worth the money? I have 4 batteries at 20C and they are fine for my applications

Ya, I would say keep using the batteries you have. i’m using these 25c batteries and there working fine. Just if I was shopping for new batteries, I probably would stay away from the multi rotor 10s batteries. 5000mah is plenty at 12s. I have gone 7 miles on dual motors with hill climbing and a lot of accelerating up to 25 mph and still not reached min voltage. I just recently learned about the internal resistance thing and I highly recommend getting one of these meters from Hobby King. Its a great tool for monitoring the true condition of your batteries. And checking new batteries before putting them into service. The Zippy in the pic was brand new right out of the box with a bad cell !

Awesome! Seriously appreciate the response and video. That hill is probably a bit longer than the hill I live on. Looks like I’ll be good to go with the 12s.

Ya, your gonna love running 12s with dual motors. The power is exhilarating !!! And a little addictive…

Are those Carvon dual hubs? They look sweet. Thanks for the tips!

Yes, they are Carvon v2 dual hub motors. 145 KV 2250 watts and up to 3 hp each. They have a lot of torque without sacrificing top speed. And the free roll is very good when coasting.

How is the breaking on the dual hubs? Also are you using VESCs?

The braking is very good. I’m using Torquesboard 12s Esc’s And 12s Lipo battery product/torqueboards-12s-120a-car-esc-opto-hv/

Thanks once again. I’m pulling the trigger on the dual, just trying to decide if I want to use VESCs or TB’s esc like you. Seems like the VESCs aren’t optimal for Carvon motors from some posts.

I haven’t tried using Vesc so I can’t comment on it.
The TB’s are plug n play simple and very robust with heavy duty heat sinks. Check with Run play back about using Vesc with Carvon.

@Namasaki do you have a build thread? I’d love to know more about this enclosure.

No thread but here’s info on enclosure.

http://www.serpac.com/s182.aspx

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/SERPAC/182-B/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsrGrAVj6eTvSToVYgBUh0ZaoP0W9%2bc%2b2w%3D

1 Like

@Namasaki what ESC’s are you running there?

Torquesboard 12s Esc’s And 12s Lipo battery product/torqueboards-12s-120a-car-esc-opto-hv/