Building 18650 battery holder/connector pcb

Well, i missed the Explanation of this PCB… what does it do?

My thoughts on these PCB’s If building a 4p the fourth battery has to stick out from PCB In order to catch the bus bar fully.and only two points of contact Even a 3p only two points on contact I wish the bus bars on pos/neg were longer so I can catch each individual battery, instead of 2

2 Likes

That pad wasn’t supposed to be used as bus bar it just solder point for connecting pad and wire together

1 Like

I’m happy with the results

5 Likes

You better solder those leads to copper because I don’t think it will hold because I don’t believe they welded correctly.

Thought about that but when I tried to peel the nickel strip off couldn’t get it of easily

But still I would recommend to solder it :wink:

Ok I took your advice and put a dab of soldier on connecting nickel on tops of pcb

1 Like

@Kug3lis can you explain the balance lead jumper again on your PCB’s. I ordered some and well I think I may have asked this question when you were still designing but now that the units are out I need to ask again.

I did look at the front and back of your PCB.

See below picture… do I just fill in those two holes with solder to say for example complete the balance jumper for Cell #7? Without both those holes have a dab of solder balance cell #7 wouldn’t be indicated.

You only need to jump where the positive comes out to the bunch of pads to the corresponding one right next to it.

He has traces going on the bottom layer of the board. The holes you see are called vias and they are essentially vertical traces that connect layers on the pcb.

For the first group you need to jump cell 1 on the neg and cell 2 for the pos, for every subsequent group, you only have to jump the pos to the correct number, eg for group 2, you connect pads labeled cell 3 on the pos, for group 3, you connect pads labeled cell 4 on the pos and so on.

Ok still confused… what does jump mean. Can u put in a diagram

So place a wire on neg solder it… run it to box that says cell #1. Additionally… place a wire on positive solder it and then solder other end to the box that says Cell #2?

Just solder the 2 pads next to Cell # together corresponding to the series of that pack

I think that makes sense… so literally there are two boxes next to each cell #… so all I have to do is place some solder that covers both ‘boxes’… the solid one and the one with a hole next to it?

Yes. I’d use a wire or 0 ohm resistor

1 Like

There is no space for 0R I used 1.5mm spacing If I remember just enough to make it easy solder together.

Up Up

10char

I am still curious whats about this PCB? what does it do? what is the benefit?

I am currently editing videos about the benefits and also some tutorials for these and my version of pretty much the same concept. I will post them in my thread or maybe create a dedicated one. http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/18650-battery-pcb-shop-launch-repairs-products-and-more-to-come/42870

Are you planning a 12s version. It’s an interesting idea to say the least, good work.