Building a perfect travel-safe battery

Depends on the current draw.

Use antispark xt90s otherwise you will get a big spark

Edit: do you mean as a switch or just connecting the batteries?

I meant for connecting the batteries

XT60s are rated to 60A, XT90s are rated for 90… Size appropriately

You should be fine with xt60 if you’re just connecting the batteries together.

Let say, you arrived to you destination and want to connect each 10s1p batteries to the board, just pluging the XT60s together, are you saying you would have a big spark here?, I’m guessing you won’t have a spark since all batteries are charged with almost the same voltage, or I’m missing something?

holy fuck this guy is hilarious

1 Like

You still need a master loop key between the batt and esc to close the circuit. This is where the XT90 anti spark needs to be or any other anti spark switch.

@ZachNYC, your battery max output current is 60A so you should be fine with XT60s

Yeah the master loop key (battery switch) should be between battery and ESC, it would remain turned off while each individual 10S1P battery pack is being connected via the XT60s.

The only doubt I have is only the first battery pack would have it’s balancer wires connected to the BMS, would that be ok?

Sounds good, xt60s it is then.

For information here are the exact IATA rules for batteries. Most of the airlines should follow them. http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/LithiumBattery_PassengerFlyer.jpg

So, I just finished my 10S4P “travel safe” flexible battery pack.

1. Each pack has 8 Samsung 25R, 3.7v * 8 * 2.5Ahr = 74Wh (less than the 100Wh limit)
  2. No limit of spare batteries
  3. You don’t have to declare it or be at the mercy of the TSA or airline representative

Imgur

I’ll build an individual fiberglass case for each pack, so they could be easily plugged in at arrival to destination

6 Likes

Pretty sweet! Do you have a wiring diagram for this?

Well you just need to replicate 5 of these packs:

I’ll try to make a wiring diagram

1 Like

Thanks! Can you post pics of the sides where we can see the ends of the batteries?

Sorry for the crappy wiring diagram, but you should get the idea:

1 Like

Im guessing you decided to not balance these packs?

I will balance them, the BMS will be positioned with the first pack (hence this pack will be bigger than the rest), each 8-pack will have 2 jst connectors at the side of the XT60s to be plugged in to the BMS upon arrival at final destination.

BTW, this is prototype.

But the “flying-with-an-eboard” dream is comming together, hope to get feedback from you guys!

If i understand well, each group of four cells in parallel does not have any link with the other group of four in the same pack, but is connected in series with a group in the next pack?

How do you manage to have the jst connectors plugged into the BMS?

That’s correct, the 4 cells in parallel at the left and the 4 at the right are not coonected directly. ’ For the balancer I’m using these jst connectors, so it should be pretty easy to unplug/plug them before/after traveling, each pack will have their own balancer cable soldered.