Building an evolve AT clone

Cool. Good to know! Assuming you run them pretty empty, you are probably getting close to 20wh / km. or even lower :slight_smile:

yeah, it’s not the most efficient board! I do run batteries very conservatively though, only charge to 4.1v per cell, and I think the low voltage cut off is about 3.4v.

The only tricky thing is I have to use an external battery alarm plugged into one of the balance leads when riding with the 5S batteries, as the VESC minimum battery cutoffs are set for the 4S voltage.

Well i actually meant that these seem to be a very good figures for dual drive emtb… especially if you were riding on gravel and such… though, probably a real capacity put back into batteries number would be a more precise figure to look at.

I agree with okami. Is 20 kph your max speed? I’m getting the impression that you can go faster. Probably the main thing I might change is lowering the overall height a bit for more stability. Maybe a double/drop deck?

I’m trying to build a Carbon GT, not a bamboo (not that the distinction matters too much). That being said, it looks like you get a HUGE discount by being in Australia. Carbon’s from the US store are $2000, not including skipping.

Though I agree there’s a lot that’s special about a custom boards. It’s not just about the cost (e.g., swappable batteries)

@Okami @High-roller oh :slight_smile: I mean I’m happy with the range, I’m not really sure how it compares.

The most accurate statistic I have is that I got 18km on the 2x4S 8000mah batteries at 4.1v charge, at an average of about 20kph, on very flat mostly limestone trail terrain.

The theoretical max speed of my setup with 10S is around 50kph at this point. I still haven’t gone full throttle on the flat, it doesn’t feel safe with my trucks/shock blocks set where they are. But I’ve got quite close, probably about 40. 30kph feels fine.

I could increase stability a bit more by tightening the shock block screws. But to be honest I prefer to keep it to a speed where if I fall for any reason I can be fairly confident I won’t need an ambulance. That feels like around 30.

Cool, thanks for giving the stats… you seem to get quite a range from your setup! I assume I would get only around 13km out of my setup… and I believe that the real energy consumtion for your board is even less… as you dont really pull 8000mah out of that lipo pack you got… :slight_smile:

Does anyone know if this is a good deck?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Moose-Longboard-Deck-9-4-x-38-Drop-Down-/391629779670?var=&hash=item5b2ef432d6%3Am%3AmV1k8NQw096oxmtOiHNkI_g&_trkparms=pageci%3A3c5e5cbf-bc63-11e6-88de-74dbd180c682%7Cparentrq%3Ad8b5450f1580a2a2150d4f3effe2a292%7Ciid%3A1&varId=660734318757

The description says 7-ply maple and I’m not sure if that’s rigid enough or too flexible. For reference, I’m about 67 kg. The shape isn’t my first choice, I was looking for something more tapered while having the drop-down and being a maximum 38-39 inches. But, since you can’t have everything in life I settle for making sure I can steer without the wheels biting into the board.

check out a few build threads with Moose. search forum at :slight_smile:http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/search?q=moose

Thanks! That’s not bad looking, but I do want to try for something shorter, and the drop-down is kind of a must. I’m planning on using 8 inch wheels, possibly spring trucks too. How about this?

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/Drop-Down-Through-Longboard-Deck-Bamboo-Maple-Hybrid-9-75-x-39-75-/361826685437?hash=item543e8d11fd%3Ag%3ANyEAAOSw44BYJrH7

Also, how easy is it to stain a blank board with a darker wood tone?

Those ebay decks are unpredictable…I used one on my first build but ended up replacing it after a couple months. Narrow tails makes your toes go numb! and wheel bite with 97mm wheels…with 8" you need really deep cutouts and super wide trucks

Pardon the silly question- how do they make your toes numb? The previous board I posted looks promising- the moose drop-down. As for the trucks, I’m thinking of using the trampa skate trucks, they’re 12.5 inches. The spring trucks are an option too, but I’m worried that at 16 inches they’ll be a bit much. On a side note, both my pc and my phone keep rejecting the MBS site as infected. Has anyone else had this?

This board almost touches the wheel but never does it… feet is a bigger problem but feet in the wheel wont stop you and throw you.

You just need wider axles. But probably not wide enough so that you can still mount street wheels comfortably…

But how do I bolt on the motor mounts? I can’t tell from the pics if it’s possible. Both trampa and mbs trucks are completely round. Could I file them a little to get a flat surface for the bolts to grip?

I believe there are some mounts who fit on round axle just fine…

look at scram boards… (though restock times can be long, some say)

or ask @Mobutusan check his build thread, he has mentioned one forum member who makes quite cheap mounts… they were not for round axles, but it did fit quite ok for @Mobutusan

1 Like

Their skate trucks seem to be an exception:

The mbs equivalent has a sort of “chunk”(?) on it, but I don’t see how it would work.

http://shop.mbs.com/accessories-492/mountainboard-trucks-suspension/mountainboard-trucks/mbs-ats12-truck-system.html

I’m seriously thinking about it. Probably the urban carvers with adapters the for 12mm superstar hubs. For an evolve clone this is becoming distinctly unevolved…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

yep, go with spring trucks, personally I think they are way better and you will have the chance to adjust them more than the skate trucks…

They seem to be rectrangular mostly…