BulletProof Commuter: Kicktail for tight turns and on a budget

Noooooo

Stay away from ceramics. Just use Bones Reds or something cheap and swap them out. Sure, water makes them fail – but the failure method of getting squeaky first then eventually getting hard to turn – is much preferred to the failure method of balls exploding and locking-up a wheel

I tried ceramics, full ceramics, and expensive steel, and I came right back to cheap Reds. Just stick with the cheap stuff but not the SUPER cheap stuff. Reds are perfect. And always keep new ones on-hand.

4 Likes

Very good to know. Thanks dude.

1 Like

Be aware the Flipsky Nano remotes use pretty cheap switches. The ON/OFF button is broken and it fried the board. I’ve reached out to Flipsky for replacement or refund.

What do you mean it fried the board? Is not turning on or off of something

I opened it up, and i guess it shorted the switch, thus the circuit on the board was melted and detached from the board.

The remote shorted the switch? I don’t quite understand what has happened. By

Do you mean the on/off switch of the remote control caused a short on the remote circuit board? Or on the Anti spark

Sorry I wasnt more clear. The only broken piece is the remote itself.

The ON/OFF switch at the base broke and was loose in the switch housing.
I tried to turn it ON and the lights (showing it’s ON) flickered rapidly. I think it bridged the internal switch thus frying the board. If i have time i’ll open it up and show the fried circuit on the board. It’s about 1/2" fried from the switch location up the circuit board.

Ahh ok I get ya now. That’s a bummer, hopefully flipsky replace it

Just a standard flat pack with a small charge only bms like the ones pictured. Roughly 275mm (10.7inch) length * 140mm (5.5inch) width * 20mm (.75inch) thickness. Unikboards makes a great enclosure for 10s3p setups https://www.unikboards.com/en/ takes a bit to ship to the states though. 15130000511 IMG_20171006_153656_01_01

Pretty slick pack… but I dont have 18" under my kick-board deck. I am running this: (12 x 6 x 2.5 aluminum enclosure) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T7T73K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Going to toss my 10s3p Samsung with BMS charge/discharge/over-current/short-circuit protection.

I could have gotten away with a 2" height, but couldn’t find one on my rush. I like your setup tho

(added 2 more pics)

Case/Enclosure arrived. Pretty happy with it. Simple, and has the “L” shaped clamshell lid.

I think the best part is, the underside is sealed (well not in corners, but i can epoxy corners where the aluminum was bent up, so i’ll never have to worry about water getting in between the board and how it mounts to board. Plus with the clamshell lid, i can pop off for easy access if I ever need it.

I was thinking of just some weatherstripping around the lip and hot-glue/epoxy into the corners.

20%20PM 13%20PM 28%20PM

24%20PM 13%20PM

1 Like

I really like that case!

I would suggest only bolting it to the deck with 4 bolts – two on the front edge and two on the back edge. That way if/when the deck flexes slightly, the box will stay straight and not try to flex with it.

2 Likes

That’s a really awesome board. I go to work on a similar shortboard and you will LOVE it.

I would turn the motor so that the phase wires come out pointing towards the truck baseplate, and then turn and go back toward the enclosure. That will flex them less as you lean.

1 Like

To add to this great tip, if you pack them with long life lithium grease like this one, they will take a lot of wet rides before drying out. Much less maintenance.

Product description

Molybdenum disulphide grease, for extreme conditions. Super Long-Lasting Grease with MoS2 is a mineral oil based, lithium-type grease with very high performance, containing MoS2 (molybdenum disulphide). Designed for bearings and assemblies using sliding rollers and bearings that are subject to high stress, in the automotive field and in industry, particularly universal joints (homokinetic joints). Increases intervals between greasing; increases the lifespan of parts and equipment.

2 Likes

Wow this thing is fast and easy to maneuver

Pretty happy!

image image image image image image image image image

2 Likes

Love the build. I’m rocking something quite similar. It’s my favorite build o my two. Well done :+1:

Hey guys, i would like to build a longboard like you did, how do you find these decks to begin?

By the way, you did a great job with yours!!