Burnout motor today

i was confused as you said you were trying to get the windings just right for efficiency and I wonder what you mean.

Well when youā€™re running 8 motors and you change the number of turns each pole of each motor has by even just one turn youā€™ve changed alot over all. In fact even changing the wire diameter of the windings can make a big difference as well. Iā€™ve spent countless hours rewinding these motors by hand. Iā€™m now stepping this up with a new motor design that is wider and flatter with a larger number of poles. If you notice the way that most drone Motors look theyā€™re not tall and skinny if they are flat and wide. The power to weight ratio goes up and the amp draw goes down compared to a taller skinnier motor with less poles.

1 Like

are you getting the motor mechanical parts made for these wider motors?

i guess youā€™re kind of safe with the redundancy of 8 motors.

donā€™t understand why the canadian guy in the video seems to land in the water on purpose

so you can last 22 minutes! thatā€™s surprisingly long. Iā€™ve always thought these flying things were a waste of time as the amount of energy needed to move someone was so much youā€™d be out of batteries quickly but 22 minutes is pretty good especially with the constantly improving batteries. With a straight path in the air i could get far. Butā€¦if only they werenā€™t so loud. If we end up with flying vehicles everywhere I really hope they figure a quite prop.

He lands in the water on purpose cuz heā€™s a chickenshit scaredy cat. That destroys your batteries and the bearings in your all your Motors not to mention destroying your ESCā€™s. I donā€™t care how water tight you make things. Iā€™ve only seen him land on the ground once in any of his videos. I sure hope he never reuses any of those parts after dumping it in the water like that. Itā€™s a big waste of money.

Iā€™m renting tooling and CNC time at a friends machine shop to build all the parts for the motors my self. Getting them balanced perfectly is the hard part. Iā€™m thinking of using a special lightweight linear gas motor generator to charge the batteries in flight. This will dramatically change the amount of flight time I get out of it by a factor of an hour. But this could lead to vibration issues with the flight controller.

1 Like