Cable length between components

I’m sure there is some formula. But I’m no electrical engineer. If any of the legit electrical engineers on here could chime in that would be awesome. This thread on RCgroups seems to suggest an extra 220uF every 10cm of aditional length.

I have seen a few MTB guys use these pre made cap banks from YGE

2 Likes

With additional you mean everything over 30cm?

Inductance is certainly not irrelevant, it can and does kill electronic devices all the time and countless RC escs. Youtubes eevblog videos has many great videos on bypass/decoupling caps. The large caps only filter the low frequency stuff, but can easily be added to. The ceramics filter the high frequency stuff and arent easily added to. Which is probably why so many cheapo vescs die, the ones with upgraded higher rated ceramics tend to fair better.

Remember to tape or tie the + and - together closely, to also reduce inductance.

At the lengths we’re talking about inductance will be pretty low, but it can still cause some nasty voltage spikes. A good rule of thumb is about 1 nH/cm. Basically what you want to do is give the spikes a place to go. Inductors oppose change in current, say 20 amps are flowing through a wire and you suddenly stop pulling 20 amps (open the circuit). The inductance will want to keep that current flowing causing a voltage spike. If I get bored I might do a quick simulation to see what difference it might make.

you right. that’s a very good link. Rule of thumb caps everywhere