Can anyone diagnose this issue? Juddering motors

Testing the motor direction through VESC tool, the motors spin up fine and smooth. However using the throttle on the remote results in some ugly juddering that has made the board un-ridable. This is the first time this has happened and happened as soon as the board was turned on, no lead up or event. Probably only done between 300 and 400 kms on the board in total. Rode 30k’s two days ago on the board and the only maintenance I’ve done on it since then is to tighten the grub screws on one of the motor pulleys as there was a bit of movement. Running the flipsky 4.20 plus with the VX2 remote. Flipsky motors too, 6374 190kv.

Video of issue in action: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1dCLxD4gVSu5GJsbA

I have no clue what is going on here, anyone got ideas? Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would guess bad connection oh phases or sensors, but also more likely bad programming or possibly HW

1 Like

Hi @Fosterqc, thanks for your reply! I’ve checked the connections a few times and everything seems solid and well connected and my solder jobs have all held. I’m not super certain that it isn’t bad programming but all my settings are pretty conservative considering the hardware. Also seems unlikely it would be bad programming as the last time I turned it on it worked like a dream and I’ve done no alterations between now and then. The only other issue I’ve had with the board was the integrated antispark switch on the dual FSESC 4.20 plus stopped working. The battery has it’s own power switch so hasn’t been too much of a problem. Did some research and it seems this happens occasionally to the switches on the FSESC 4.20 plus but now I’m wondering if it’s symptomatic of a larger issue with the ESC.

1 Like

something something focbox stormcore vesc

Ooph, pretty hefty price tag on that baby. $450 AUD. I was sort of eyeing off the Focbox Tenka which has a less eye watering price tag of $270 AUD. Do you know if that’s a good option?

1 Like

The owner of this forum would sure think so.

see they even gave me this badge.

1 Like

I’m afraid I don’t follow. Are you recommending I upgrade to the Stormcore and you don’t rate the Tenka?

1 Like

some people sure do not like something about some controllers.

They work, sometimes they don’t. I like to focus on when they don’t and where the best solution from there is.

I wish the VESC fw and software could better alert you to where an issue may reside, but usually sleuthing by swapping thing by thing is the only way. therefor needing a pile of parts.

Yeah, agreed. That’s why I ended up going with the FSESC because as long as it works it’s a good ESC. But now it ain’t working so I’ve got some thinking and research to do I guess. Thanks for assisting!

1 Like

Judas!

1 Like

Just listen up here-

I am better than you

1 Like

That’s basically like winning the Special Olympics there buddy. You keep flapping them wings though lol.

1 Like

Well not to interrupt the confusing left turn this comment section took, I ended up going with the Tenka. Should arrive soon. Though I am a little concerned about the motors now. While messing around trying to get the current arrangement to work one of the motors emitted a small puff of smoke… I still don’t understand what has happened here. If I need to get new motors, the flipsky ones are a good option right? It’s just the FSESC’s that are a little questionable right?

Don’t know if anyone is still following along but I figured out the issue and it is way WAY off from what I thought it was.
It turns out my aluminium motor mounts couldn’t stand the torque and the shelf the motor screws were tightened against was sheared. On BOTH motor mounts in the same spot. Don’t know if it’s a faulty design, faulty batch or if alum isn’t up to the task. I didn’t realise thinking the screws had just vibrated a bit lose (screw heads covered the break) so I tightened the screws putting the screws too far into the motor. Not sure if it was messing with the EMF or shorting something, most likely the later because one of the motors burned through the windings nearest the screw. Still waiting on steel motor mount replacements. Not sure if that one motor is wrecked or repairable but the other motor did not sustain any permanent damage. The anti spark switch did fail on the Flipsky dual FSESC 4.20 plus which is pretty annoying but the ESC itself still works fine when the motors were removed from the motor mounts.
Don’t know why the motors worked fine when tested through VESC tool though.