Can I build electric Skateboard for $300

I don’t get this snob attitude. If you can spend more to make fancy electric skate or buy great premade componets good for you. But if i can make a decent working electrik skateboard with 300€ of components what’s wrong with that? For example I made a post not so long ago about a motor mount made with a drill press, dremel and hand saw and the result may not have be pretty as premade motor mounts but worked like charm and total cost was 3,8€ .

I built one for about $400 aud - $300 usd. It left a trail of destruction in it’s wake.

3 Likes

If you have all the materials for your deck, it theoretically maybe possible to make a system for a decent price, if you have the materials to save yourself on buying a deck versus making one. It basically all comes down to what materials you have access to and what nots.

These prices I listed below are what it cost me. Motor:2x$68 Mount:2x$50 Esc:2x$65 (Vesc) Truck:$35 Wheel:$19 Remote:2x$25 (Gt2B)
Case:$3 (Walmart Kitchen Tupperware) Batteries:$101(3Lipos) Shipping:~$30-40 ~$470-570 Obviously I overdid my budget, I wanted to go with a dual drive but realized the wiring was quite a complicated mess. So my budget could have been cut by at least $130.

I’m sorry if it came off that way, but I assure you I had no intention of making it sound snobby- It was not trying to say you’d have to be all “high and mighty” to build a good board for cheap, but more so was just to point out the extra difficulties in doing everything yourself.

I think the short answer is - not well.

possible if you have the materials, tools, skill, and time to make the big $ items like motor mount/clamps and gears. Deck choice could be key - from truly build it yourself/DIY to a clone/blank/budget deck - definitely not a top shelf new (but perhaps one used!).

Electronics are going to be tough - simple stuff like loop key (or skip to start), cables and connectors - depends what you have in your tackle-box of spare parts from previous building (RC Cars or planes or …). but GOOD ESC’s are not cheap, and most cheap ESC’s are not good. Or a compromise, or will work for a while and then catch grass on fire smoking like in @Jebe’s picture!

@NeverStopSeeking - i can appreciate your dedication and skill making a motor mount w/ hand tools and a drill press - kudos man! But i do agree that in most cases getting a $30-50 community motor mount will be better and cheaper than buying tools and materials to make your own. I don’t think that’s being snobish, but comparing alternatives and cost/time benefit.

If you can assemble your own VESC 4.12 and comfortable with SMD soldering/reflow you can DIY your own ESC and looking at @wmj259’s cost of about $65 (i think i saw the BOM price for 1 around $85 a few years back when i was contemplating DIY a VESC). Getting a good used VESC might also be a decent option, but i’ve also had one sold as repairable (dead DRV) that had other issues… So be aware/cautious.

Clone wheels - a given IMO. Good enough for most needs - not as good as legit flywheels, but close enough for most.

GT2b - best bang for buck and rock solid connectivity. Down the road you can move to 3d printed smaller enclosure.

Batteries - sacrifice range to start perhaps. My favorite low profile lipo are the slimmest zippy compact 3s/4s batteries in series for 6s/8s/9s. Later you can add more or different batteries.

I really like @David_S’s suggestion to use Maker space in your area. Only one in my area unfortunately - and pretty $. Still need to check it out. Good to learn from some experts - for tools i have and some i want to use! (CNC / 3d printers / lasers).

My suggestion for a super budget build:

clone or DIY deck (free to ~$50 shipped) @Shogu12 mount - $30 + $7 s/h @Titoxd10001 gears - $20 + $6 s/h
measure to get belt length - beltingonline in UK ($pendy), or polybelt US (inexpensive/fast) - so two belts 2x$6.50 = ~$20 shipped ($9.99 min order $8.50 s/h) Motor - SK3 63mm of your choice - 149-200kv my preference - ~$80-90 (unsure s/h) 83mm Flywheel clones - $27 (some even come with cheap “good enough for free” bearings) GT2b - $25 Connectors, Wires, shrink/misc ~$20

Batteries - Lipo are least $ - sacrificing range, i’d go 2 x 4s 5000mAh 30c $70 ESC - DIYes seems least $ new VESC - $100

so simple math my build would be ~$410 w/o cost for deck. So likely $425 w/ some unknown shipping and then 35-50 for a blank deck as a minimum.

So my “minimum” build would be ~$475/$500.

YMMV depending on location and customs fees especially.

HTH - GL!

2 Likes

Show us some photos of your long board and then we can give some suggestions. Need to see if your wheels are suitable to add a drive to. And your location so we can suggest links to stuff that can ship to you at a reasonable cost.

• Single motor setup is much cheaper than dual.
  • If you can make the motor mount that will go a long way to saving some $$
  • If you know a friend with a 3D printer you can print the wheel pulley.

This is a estimate if you can find the cheap stuff with decent shipping. -Battery $100 -Esc $50 -Motor $60 -Remote $40 -Belts and pulley $40 -Motor mount DIY $10 -Hardware $10

Total $310 and I assume you are going to need a few more items.

If your longboard has the right kind of wheels and you dont need any skateboard parts and you have access to tools you might be lucky to do it for $350. But $400 would be more realistic in my view. **** Edit, you also need a charger. add $50

I dont wanna keep spamming my video but seriously check out what around $200 and a bit of elbow grease will get you.

1 Like