Can u get a speed wobble in a powered truck?

the motor just acts as a damping effect, so it could reduce the likelyhood of wobbles, but it wont eliminate it. wobbles is a complicated periodic shift of energy between truck bushing, board flex and rider. the more components that store energy (and release it with a deadly phase shift), the more likely youll end up with wobbles at certain frequencies. the whole thing can probably be reduced to some multiple mass spring system and a motor is some mild form of damping … which is good but in the end just very mild.

1 Like

theories. Who’s has dual diagonal and gotten wobbles? I think the motor more than works as a damper but a complete limiter of movement

not very. what that guy shows in the video is simply some inertia thing - it goes left, the mass of the board is accelerated left and the centrifugal force is turning the board outwards (which is possible, because the trucks have no resistance at all). so now the board accelerates to the right, board flips outwards again and it repeats itself.

speed wobble is actually a a resonance catastrophe of multiple energy shifts from wheel, truck bushings, board flex and most importantly rider legs with various spring coupling constants and phase shifts that, if triggered by the right frequency, will end up in a resonance catastrophe.

4 Likes

nope, if that would be true, you couldnt even carve anymore. I can carve very well and barely feel the motor.

just look at all the wide axle wobbly evolve at setups. people speed wobble crash with those all the time …

but thats now with our current gear. you could probably tune ESCs to recognize the wobble moment and counteract it with well tuned counter torque - something like a cars ESP. :wink:

2 Likes

Agreed

1 Like

But… with a wobble the wheel speed has to change so much each second. I don’t think you could get a motor that’s given a consistent current could vary its speed so drastically.

@Hummie we had a thread about this in the past. TLDR: it absolutely can happen on an Esk8.

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/speed-wobble-is-real/389

I had speed wooble once when my cousin and I sat on the board and went full speed. I also had a bit of wobble the other day when I was going downhill at full throttle, my trucks were quite loose though so that may have affected it.

1 Like

As @whitepony mentioned I think ttere’s def connection between us and the board … over compensating or under compensating…center of gravity…how quick we are to adjust of the wobble…

But as you notice sitting, effectively lowing the center of gravity doesn’t help be more stable…

Its a combo of all factors tightness, looseness, bushings, angle, width, length and how we react (skill)

But what is the percentage of each as a whole? What has more effect of the cause? Will 4wd counter the speed wobble effect?

I don’t know

I definitely get speed wobble on throttle when going over speed bumps at a high speed but its really controllable. The only time wobble has been a issue was trying to stop to quickly while unbalanced from 35mph. This is on dual rear.

I have another theory…

I think speed wobbles only happen while going in a streightish line. I have never witnessed speed wobbles during a carve/turn, and after reading about the physics of it it seems impossible to happen during a turn.

Am I completely crazy here?

So has anyone had speed wobbles occur while turning?

Could slightly turning into a wobble stop it?

Absolute nonsense.

Excuse me? @Rollbrett

Yea eboostin maybe if you are going fast then release the throttle so then coasting this will allow a wobble. Maybe reduce throttle instead of coasting.

yea, thats true for 2 reasons: a truck bushing under lean is compressed and somewhat stiffer in the “more lean” direction (more damping) while in neutral position it is as loose as it can be in both directions, so its more open to quick lean shifts. 2nd reason is: during carving the rider has pressure on one side of the board and isnt alternating energy returns into 2 directions. really the best thing you can do when going straight and encountering signs of wobble: start carving! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@whitepony That’s what I thought… Thanks for the great explanation.

This info should be disseminated to everyone with a skateboard, could save some injuries.

I wish I knew this when I was younger would have saved me a bunch of skin!

Stay safe. Start Carving.

1 Like