Can you hook up dual VESCs to one remote without can bus?

@Ackmaniac, that’s really good info. I’m just now using VESC for the first time. A lot of help came from here. I did set it up on BLDC first, then went to FOC and it worked well. My buddy told me about current control so I would have reverse and that worked pretty good too. I would like to try your methods, so I’ll start reading up on what you said. It does need to be wireless cause of the two separate skates.

@Aggdaddy I haven’t skated in 13 years and I lost it all. I actually could skate backward back then. I’m doing better now but it’s coming slow. Sure don’t remember it being this hard to skate again. 13 years and my age have a lot to do with it. lol Right now I’m only skating with one skate as the other is under construction and near completion. I need a drone battery and finish the wiring. Then figure out the dual VESC control. Skating the electric skate is actually easier than my practice skates right now. Haven’t done to much yet, but I did ride them. I did keep the skates side by side and just kinda stand there. Surprising, it was easier than I expected. All of the torque has to go through one leg and it starts hurting quick. Could get use to that though. Two would be better. It’ been a long time coming and I’m really happy with things so far.

1 Like

Post the video when you complete it. Seems like you are close to completing the project.

I sure @Aggdaddy. Also maybe catch up with as I live in Santa Fe, Tx., 25 mi. south of Houston.

also if the GT2b is like all the other FRSKY systems I have for my drones you can bind multiple receivers to one tx. I have about 14 on my taranis on one model and if 2 receivers are on at the same time they both just mirror each other.

A mini trigger would be GT2B? I also have a micro remote. Would that work too?

I have never tried multiple receivers, but if you don’t have another receiver that is similar, wouldn’t the servo Y-splitter solution be cheaper and achieve the same goal?

Not sure how that set up looks but with two separate skates I’m not sure. Can you explain the configuration to me?

I imagine the only way the servo y-splitter method works is to run a long 2-wire servo extension cable (leave out red power wire) up one leg then back down the other, lol. That would at least work rock solid if you wanted to test it out, just not the most graceful solution (and you could do that with a canbus extension wire as well) !

That is best I can do with pencil and paper. That is what I would think would be a nice set up for powered skates. It would all be in the back pack. The motor wires would go all the way to the feet and needs to be secured with wire loom from the back pack to the skates. Probably be best to use bullet connectors near the feet when getting ready to skate. Then unplug when your are removing the backpack.

That would surely work. And yea, can bus at that. For testing, why not. That’s probably what I’ll do. I like to figure out Ackmaniac’ s wireless proposal, but that’s over my head on VESCs right now.

@Aggdaddy I like that idea too. How would long motor wires effect things?

@Ackmaniac Has the best ideas. He know’s what he’s talking about too.

Maybe he’ll work on it for me and I’ll “hook him up” lol

I did try a waist belt and it worked. Similar to Aggdaddy. But not with VESCs.

I also like @Aggdaddy method. Forum (VESC) experience has been length in battery cables no good, motor phase cables ok. That said I have not seen 3foot phase cables tried so would out that out there as a question to the wiring wizards here lol.

That sounds good. Anybody got any input on long motor phase cables. Larger cables or/and finer strands maybe?

Haha, put that in a new thread with title 3 foot motor phase cable issues and you will get some responses faster lol

Oh yea that’s right. You can tell I’m new here. lol

My motor cables are about two to three feet on my mountainboard, going from the box in the center of the board to the back. I would say they are 12 to 10 gauge in size. I didn’t build it, but I did a lot of mods to the electronics.

If that works fine then that’s probably long enough and will work.