My latest obsession relevant to this forum, has been making trash out of carbon fiber and epoxy. True to my nature, I set out on this endeavor with zero experience in vacuum infusion, and rather than take baby steps, I dove right into the most technical and challenging method of composite fabrication. I’ve read tons of threads, and publications about the method, but I just cant seem to get it right. So I’m creating a topic specifically about my expensive failures.
Vacuum resin infusion is fuc*ing HARD. Any number of things can screw everything up and waste time and materials. So why do I do this method vs hand-layup or regular vacuum bagging? Because I am a difficult person!
I’m using West System 105, and the 207 hardner. I’m gonna go ahead and get the 209 extra slow hardner for science, maybe the extra pot life will allow better wet-out
So here are some of the most significant problems I’ve had thus far.
- Moving the epoxy fast enough to cover the part
- Achieving a full wet-out of the fabric
- Finding all the leaks!!
- Mixing enough epoxy
- Laying the bag effectively
- Flow mesh puncturing the bag
- Keeping shit where I put it
The epoxy always seems too thick. I got decent results using denatured alcohol to thin it. I tried heating the epoxy as well, but then it gelled too fast and didn’t travel throughout the part.
Hahaha, this is so frustrating Pictures and setup coming soon, tips and tricks welcome! Here’s the best result I’ve gotten so far Its 12k 200gsm 2x2 twill with spread tow yarn and two layers of 24k 815gsm beneath it