Carbon Fiber Enclosure and Mold

Lets see, a 12s4p battery in a configuration of two side by side rows of 24, 18650 cells would be 17 inches long and 5.75 inches wide (going by my battery’s dimensions), discounting the BMS. With another 3 inches for a Focbox Unity I think it would fit.

I will post some pictures of the interior dimensions with a battery pack and Unity later

1 Like

I’ve bought most of my fabrics and bagging materials from Composite Envisions, this isn’t an ad but they seem to sell good quality products at a reasonable price and i’ve had nothing but good service from them.

2 Likes

The flame enclosure turned out alright, the corners are a bit iffy, once again I experimented with a method of pre coating the mold with resin but this tight wave cotton fabric was too thick to conform properly. These corners are not too bad and i can easily sand it smooth.

I found a few more spots on the mold where air bubbles got caught between the gelcoat and the reinforcement. I have since learned a new method to prevent that in future molds.

Using a heated box for speeding up the curing process had a good and bad effect. The enclosure cured in just a couple hours. But it got too hot and the heat imprinted the fabric pattern on the mold surface.

I suppose this mold is repairable but at this point it might be better to start from the ground up with a design that has smoother curvature. The radius of the corners on this design have proved to be too sharp for good consistent results.

2 Likes

Sweet!!! You have access to cool toys.

Sanded and polished the red enclosure and got it all mounted to the deck, I’m happy with how it all turned out

3 Likes

Looks great man!

Are you gonna sell any of them? Just curious.

Well, I have three other enclosures that I have made so far and they all have imperfections. I don’t think I’m going to put in the effort to fix this mold, so that might be that. I may make a design/mold but I will have to see how much time I have during this school semester.

1 Like

cool! I love carbon fiber!