Carbon Jet Spud | Freebord Bindings | Single VESC | 10S3P LG HG2

back in march when I ordered it was 2 enertion vescs for the price of 1 german vesc with the note that they will ship from europe, ie no customs. so, even though I wanted to support the europe/german guys, I had a hard time just paying double the amount.

so when I finally got the enertion vescs after a few months delay, they shipped from australia, i.e. I had to pay 51€ customs. and now, ontop of that, one isnt working, both have crappy 50V caps and the receiver pins point right at 42V. :joy_cat:

bottom line: I feel pretty stupid now for not buying a tested high quality vesc in germany. :smile_cat:

5 Likes

meanwhile there is also French and UK VESC’s floating around, so lets hope it’s going to be easier with the VESC’s in the future, have a good one still!

soldered the sunk in wires directly to the 2nd vesc and replaced the 50V caps with 2x 63V 2200uF which I still had around from my trampa cap bank. :yum:

tried out current control - forward backward wrooom wroooom, will be fun :smile:

I feel like just charging the battery, hardwire vesc to battery, screw on the enclosure and empty one battery tomorrow. yes, thats what I will do! :innocent:

3 Likes

Is your 10S3P battery just your standard design like the 10s4p you did for your topspeed? Or is it different?

Can you tell me more about the advantages of angled risers?

standard!

there is no real advantage, in this case even a disadvantage because I would rather use a 44° truck angle … but 50s isnt too bad actually. :slight_smile:

problem is: 1/2" risers are never made from rubber, at least I couldnt find them in my online skateshops - but I wanted rubber shockpads for some additional damping. these angled risers were made from rubber and their large side is 1/2".

now, they add 6° to a truck, i.e. if you take a caliber 44 with that riser, its as if you got a caliber 50s with a 1/2" riser. BUT: the riser is made from rubber and somehow the angled one looks a LOT better than a comparable 1/2" flat riser. and there is your advantage :smile:

1 Like

forgot about this: okp sent me APS cronin adapters, gotta work a little on them for 15mm belt but overall they are a good fit. now the main problem is that the motor hits the truck baseplate. Ill try with long belts and maxing the APS mount length, if that doesnt work I might try to design my own mount and ask @Nowind to help me out on the cnc milling part! :hugging:

1 Like

Nice, I dig the angles and I’m going to try this on my Hi5ber deck. It might be why I enjoy the ride on my modded skateboard deck. I found these soft angled risers:

https://www.daddiesboardshop.com/khiro-1-2-60a-angled-skateboard-risers

Now with that angle, what size bolts will I need to use?

ah, nice, looks very soft with 60A, that should help with damping!

you probably need 1.25" or maybe even 1.5" bolts. think it worked for me with 1.25" because the spud isnt very thick! most likely getting away with 1" bolts for the slim side of that riser. but I can only speculate! that angled riser is apparantly 5/8" at the thick and 1/8" at the thin side!

bolts dont cost anything anyway and its something thats always good to have in your skateboard treasurebox, so just buy some sets! :smiley:

1 Like

argh, Im dead! :skull_crossbones:

did my maidens ride, was giving myselfs mental highfives the whole time, board rides really good, even stable to my max 45kph, carved pretty nicely and its suprisingly soft and well damped which I still dont understand!! no rattling at all and FOC also works well on the rspecc, especially at trick speed (read: VERY SLOW!!!) - then I found a school with a nice schoolyard and the 13yo boy in me immediately rode in there and practiced ollies, 180s and wheelies with current control in both directions. had a BLAST I gotta say …

… until my motor with mount came off. :laughing: one of the clamp screw got loose somehow and I finally lost it somewhere, the other held the clamp tight for a while, but finally bent from the impacts which eventually sealed the deal.

fuck, and all that at 30degree and 10km off home. :tired_face: I went to the next closest house, asked for some tools to take the mount off (cause I didnt find the 2nd screw), then I pushed home and took a shower. :sweat_smile:

must say, overall Im really happy - that board rides as good as the tesseract and, even though the spud is stiffer, its somehow taking rough pavement a lot better and I JUST DONT GET IT. it carves really well and the bindings while carving are giving a really cool locked in feeling - a little like a raceboard. what I loved most was, that you can now lean not only with bringing weight to your heel or toes, but also by applying pressure with the arch of your foot. great feeling!

and well, the small tricks I made - jumped a few sidewalks with 20kphish, but felt a little shaky still, so I focused on practicing clean ollies, but thats really something for slow speed for now until I feel more confident! :slight_smile:

by the way: the board weights basically 7kg! I blame the heavy flywheels and the bindings! it feels quite nice on the feet though, much better than my 13kg trampa!

7 Likes

Board looks great!

What washer set up are you running on the trucks? It looks nice :slight_smile:

Try some hubs :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We need to ask Jason at Enertion and Jerry at Carvon to donate motors for a trick esk8 durability study. @whitepony - being scientifically minded - may value the empirical evidence enough to sacrifice his time (and body) for the benefit of all future esk8er’s

Sucks…

I’m paranoid abt bolts for the first 72 hours of riding…I check almost every time I step off the board

Same thing happened to me…lost the bolt…but magically the mount stayed in place and was able to stop with zero damage…just a missing bolt…thread locker, torque and 24hours and rechecked and fixed

Damn I had no luck trying to purchase some adapters from okp. Do you know the outer diameter of the adapter, I have torque mounts which are 28mm. Have you tried with the motor facing the rear that might clear better but not as stealth

ist 1" amish cupped washers :slight_smile:

ist really the first time that I lost a screw - guess I was sloppy with thread locker, because the screw was going in not too easy because of the remainders of previous thread locker applications. ah well, got new screws already, too bad for the scratches on the trucks, but theyll come quickly anyway. :yum:

1 Like

we always kept in touch and he sent me some for free <3 Ill measure the diameter of the APS mount later if you want - its slightly larger than torques V2 mount, maybe by 1-2mm!

motor facing rear will surely work, but I dont want that due to stealth reasons. sadly it seems very hard to shave something off the cronins at that part of the truck, so that wont really work unless we talk about 1-2mm. tomorrow my APS order arrives - then Ill try max length APS motor mount with okp adapters and see if I get out far enough … and whether I then still got enough clearance so that the motor wont hit the enclosure. :yum:

looks like its 29.7 or probably just 30mm - ill measure the mount itself tomorrow when I got it!

1 Like

Lucky! -_- can’t wait to see how they look on your build. Are you going to use them on this board or something with longer wheelbase because I thought you mentioned they were to twitchy on a small wheelbase? Torque adapters are 28.2mm I think it would be simple to sand okp adapters to that size

I’m completely obsessed with the freeboard bindings idea! Watched a bunch of okp’s videos. I feel like an addict about to fall of the wagon…I know I shouldn’t, but I’m not sure I can stop myself.

1 Like

where are you from? could forward you a few! on the other hand i think i found a quite elegant way of making my own, bit simpler than okps way with a stainless steel or aluminum pipe and epoxy! will post about that later this week once i tried it!

problem is that okps adapters are for 9mm and you need them further towards the kingpin for 15mm belts (basically 6mm :joy: ).

and there is the problem of torqueboards adapters: you simply need the largest possible diameter, because the ronins become very thick towards the kingpin. 28mm wont do, 30mm maybe.

btw, its not for the spud, but for my vanguard! :slight_smile:

@Adam0311 do it, its a ton of fun for just a few bucks and it allow hours and days practicing stuff!