Carvon v2 and 2.5 owners

I think I’ve been riding my 2.5s a bit too hard? :slight_smile: Been commuting NYC almost daily since Feb, about 7 miles round trip.

One motor developed a rattle, a magnetic “click” at a certain point in the rotation.

And on the other motor, I think I hit a pretty good pothole, dented the bell, broke one magnet and another came loose. Was riding with this horrible screeching noise. Jerry was suuuper helpful, I ended up emergency gluing the magnets back in with CA glue and baking powder. Proper magnet glue ordered for if/when the CA glue lets go.

I’ve got cracks in the plastic fan (I think the weakpoint of this setup), glued together now with the magnet glue. The rest of the design seems surprisingly solid.

Motors are almost too hot to touch at the end of each leg of the commute. I just got bluetooth+phone app working, and wow I pulled 1900w on one motor at some point.

Motors are running a bit rougher and slower now, but can still hit 30mph. Seems I’ve been abusing these things pretty terribly, both mechanically and electrically. These things are tough. :slight_smile:

So now I worry about breakdowns, downtime, and potential big injury. :slight_smile: It seems inevitable that something will break. Being a commuter board, I’m starting to stockpile spare parts. Hard to get spare Carvon motors though!

1 Like

No, because I had 3 others working fine.

Can you send photos of your v2 without urethane on it?

@willpark16 how difficult was it to open up Carvon ? Shit…after yesterdays ride my carvon started to have a CLICK sound on each magnet when I am rotating the motor. @BigBoyToys did you ever had a CLICK sound to one of your motors ?

Yeah, Ive have clicking noises multiple times with multiple types of hubs. Sonetimes its debris, sometimes a loose magnet, a broken fan once and the can coming loose causing misalignment another time.

Shit …ok so it seems like I need to take it apart which I’ve never ever done before. @BigBoyToys Can you hold my hand ? I am entering the darkside of the moon here :slight_smile:
So I assume I start with those three big hex screws on the front carbon plate right ?

Yes remove those three screws first

Then there is just the axle nut and the 4 screws around the can at the back of the motor. Once those are all out you can wiggle the can off but be careful with the fan. If you pry too hard it will crack. Most of mine wiggled off by hand with a little time and patience.

the magents on the can will try and stick to the stator so don’t expect it to just tug off it will require some strength and time

1 Like
  • three hex screews are off
  • axle nut is off
  • those four tiny screws from the back of the black can are also off

Holly smokes…the whole motor still sits tight as fuck. I cant move shit. How should i pull it off ?? Should I pull the black can or the silver ?

The black section is a sleeve attached the steel can. Its attached with glue, it shouldn’t come off so you can pull on either really. Look in the little screw holes on the back to see if you are making progress.

Sleeve might come off if his cam has been run long enough and hot enough to weaken the glue

I have noticed there is one more tiny screw left on that silver ring ob the back. Should i take it off too? Or it can stay ?

The motor still sits tight…damn

When you put it back do not let the bell slam together. I’d use wooden spacers to progressively close it, without slamming it. You can damage all kinds of stuff.

Hehe …I am far from putting it back together. Maybe I am pussy …but the the motor still sits damn tight.

That screw u are refering to helps retain the stator. No need to remove that.

Thats what i thought. Ok the can has moved like 2mm so far. not much but hey.

Any update?

I ve managed to pull the can just a tiny bit…it sits tight. Ill be trying to use hair dryer and if it wont help i ll have to go with heat gun.

1 Like

My hair dryer didn’t help …so f*ck that I am buying JAW PULLER just like @Haimindo did, I’ve figured it would useful anytime with hubs so why even bother :slight_smile: