🏁 Channel Trucks

Purpose, Function and Setup.

Would like the intent of this thread to delve into these 3 categories.

Do a search on the forum and you will find consistent testimony of inherent instability associated with Channels. They are very popular and growing in numbers however you will also find very few able to make stable speed with the CT.
Revered as an “Off Road” truck, hope is someday this design will be ironed out and we will see Channels competitive in track and hill racing. :checkered_flag::checkered_flag:

7 Likes

Awesome.

I’ll post up the configurations I’ve tested, and will be testing as I’ve got another two carvers coming up.

2 Likes

20190208_142048

20190208_141812

20190208_141835

Channel trucks are best on tiny cruisers

6 Likes

Dude that thing looks righteously fun.

What’re the specs on it? What kind of battery are you throwing on there?

Please report back on your findings. I’ve never seen that short of a wheelbase on that setup. <3 those @Kaly geardrives.

2 Likes

I basically took my trampa Drivetrain (Kaly drive 1:4, sk8 192kv, 8" tires) and slapped it on a 29" cruiser with angled risers. For shits and giggles.

7 Likes

Are the angled risers 3d printed or? I have some extra cells, motor and a pair of infinity trucks, and would like to make a board which i could use when its wet If they are, how are they holding up?

I don’t go fast. They’re perfect for me :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Watching @Nowind 's videos it seems he has figured them out quite well. I would love to see him at Bakersfield on one of his boards.

3 Likes

I don’t know, I haven’t integrated them on a working board yet.

3 Likes

Go fast, yes. Racing, no.

The width is too wide for close quarters racing and the board length required for the angled nose and tail make the boards too long for good drafting.

A long and wide setup might do OK now while we are in the first year of electric skateboard racing but they will quickly fall out of favor once the pack closes in.

4 Likes

@Nowind is a great place to start. The key to making electronics live is the ability to hang a large Watt drive system. A drive system that stays cool lives. When you have a system that has twice the watts you need heat is non issue. The drive systems available for channels are fantastic, there is no doubt power is a non issue. @nowind if I remember had worked on stability control with an addition of a moto steering damper.

6 Likes

If we’re talking outrunners, then too big of motor is too much because of it resistance to turn, I think @Kug3lis noticed this with his huge motors, right?

1 Like

Function. At a glance, The hanger axle centerline is Outside the kingpin rotation point. This to me seems ok for making ground clearance but counter productive for stability. By moving the hanger centerline closer to the clevis king pin or even Inside, it closes the distance between the two fulcrums , putting more leverage control to the baseplate kingpin where it belongs. IMG_20190210_083153

1 Like

Hanger weight is definitely counter productive. I would like to see a driveshaft driven hanger (someday) vs a hanger with weight . A motor that struggles and makes heat is inefficient. I agree there is a point at where a bigger motor isn’t better. When looking for performance there are always balances and compromises to be made.

4 Likes

Now were talking. https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/genuine-question-why-do-people-buy-the-following-products/72054/86?u=moestooge

2 Likes

@Deckoz thank you for taking the time to expand on this topic, both here and in the prior thread. Exactly the kind of information and discussion I was looking for.

Can we clarify what “high speed” we’re talking about where instability becomes a factor? We have a lot of different skill level riders. To me personally, I’ve not had stability issues up to 40mph, but my board can’t even do that without a good hill to assist.

I realize rider weight/board/skill will always play a factor, but I’m wondering if we’re discussing speeds that don’t apply to most? IE: channel trucks show these issues most prominently at 45mph+, etc

2 Likes

My stock Lacroix with 8’ tires, gets the wobbles at 47km/h with yellow shock blocks at the front

3 Likes

MBS Matrix Trucks are nowhere near as stable as my Trampas though. :confused: that’s actually the exact reason why I never bothered with just buying a LaCroix when I was starting off.

(In my personal opinion and experience. You also have much fewer options for tuning/customization)

1 Like

Spot on and thanks for jumping in. For Channels, As we move the wheel axel centerline to the board side of the clevis pivot centerline the truck will become more stable. Time for someone to build something.

1 Like

Could you post up close-up of your truck layout. Front and Rear

1 Like