šŸ Channel Trucks

This would cause the board to handle extremely poorly. Nothing wrong with some inherent instability in a high performance build. You still want your board to juke when you need it. Some positive rake is desirable.

@MoeStooge Iā€™d be happy to. Currently Iā€™m running 80a dampeners on front and rear. Iā€™ve previously run 85/90 in the rear but my 80s have been solidly broken in and Iā€™ve been enjoying it. The LaCroix Prototipo deck is 30/30 on the end angle, but I dewedge my rear to 20 degrees (have also played with 40/30 and itā€™s fun as hell but rowdy, not sure on higher speed as that was in an offroad configuration). Right now my board has winter tires on, 8" knobbys, Iā€™ve been running 7" Inlines otherwise. I change up my configuration every few weeks to test new things.

Trampa Ultimate Trucks = CNC Light Hanger & Baseplate with 9.525mm Titanium Axles & Titanium Kingpin.

IMG_20190210_145940 IMG_20190210_145952 IMG_20190210_150002

5 Likes

Another thought regarding this subject. How do channels cope with extreme acceleration? When I built my latest set up I had to deal with wobbles at full throttle from the line. Acceleration was the killer. Any kind of foot movement could induce some sphincter constricting events. The only channels I have ridden have been on a fairly low torque set up with gummies so it was fine up to full speed and then became unstable for me Note the highlight. Interested to know if the channels suffer the same walking that rkp with bad bushings can. Iā€™m only asking this stuff because of a genuine effort to learn because I really want a set up that will allow extreme acceleration, top out at 35/40 and yet still have some good carving abilities. If such a thing is possible. I have my evo set on hardish bushings with very loose 50ā€™ trucks and while its super stable at 40+ it is not the most manoeuvrable machine at low speeds without a slide and In the immortal words of Danny Glover Iā€™m getting too old for this shit

2 Likes

I wish I could speak with more hard data to back this, but so far itā€™s not been a concern of mine in the least, and my board is built more for ā€œHold onto your dicksā€ level of torque than it is for speed.

@SeanHacker & @Skunk can probably attest to this. The 0-30 is generally dictated by the gravity of ones nads on high power gear drives w/ pneumatics.

Now this comes at a price, because I also burn through battery at the rate of 30-45Wh/mile when Iā€™m dicking off and trying to burn out.

1 Like

It seems pretty solid at Full Throttle. The biggest hindrances for me was the terrain we were ridding on because it was a narrow path with pedestrians and cyclists. And the fact that I could tell I need to throw my weight much harder in order to get the responsiveness I wanted. But then again the board wasnā€™t set up for me. In addition to the light amount of ice on the ground and the fact that Iā€™m in a cast and probably shouldnā€™t be f****** around too much on high powered board Iā€™ve never ridden before.

2 Likes

How your hanger rides on your pivot pin. Is it on a bearing or bushing?

Wondering how all this would cope with 100mm urethanes on your set up? Seems you have got the stability handled but hard to compare without similar set ups. @sender with his lacroix on rkp SR before moes wheels would be a good start.

2 Likes

Here is a good explanation of ā€œrakeā€. As the axel center moves away from the hanger pivot centerline toward the street the truck becomes more unstable, much like the current design in channels. If the axel is moved to the board side of the pivot point it becomes more stable. This should make it easier to understand. I think this needs to be made and tested. anatomy-of-longboard-trucks-infographic-8-truck-rake

3 Likes

Yep. Confirmed. Iā€™m not used to the type of board or trucks, but it felt great. Just a different ride than Iā€™m used to so i had to concentrate at first. Full throttle and getting to speed felt comfortable and i wouldnā€™t mind hitting 30-35mph on it no problem.

3 Likes

Channel trucks are by FAR the easiest to make and prototype in a small shop.

Theyā€™re among the easiest trucks to get really high precision with, and good turning.

But the drawbacks are that getting a good resistance system is much more difficult and traditional bushings just donā€™t work, so you always end up with proprietary solutions or springs.

Also you have all metal on metal contact, so thereā€™s nowhere for shock absorption and youā€™ll have a lot more vibration. I think this is also why some channel trucks have had issues developing cracks once you motorize them.

Slight con is also that its harder to make a channel truck that has zero axle offset. The axle and the ā€œkingpinā€ bolt would have to intersect, so a zero rake truck would have to have split axles. Which really isnā€™t a big deal, just less simple.

There really shouldnā€™t be any stability problems with channel trucks IF you can get a reliable bushing/resistance system. I think steering dampeners are total overkill and just compensating for resistance that doesnā€™t work.

2 Likes

It has already been done, zero rake channels. I forgot the name but they were a big deal on the mtb scene. Maybe someone can do a google dive and find them.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a good question. My second carver build that Iā€™m just now digging into is running 125mm Gummies w/ a Kaly.nyc gear drive.

Iā€™m naming her: ā€œTrigger Warningā€

(Not even bolted together, just mocking up prebuild)

3 Likes

Well said. I do like their simplicity. The rigid clevis setup would require some beefing. With some work in the bushing Dept I think itā€™s worth a persuit. The clevis angle could be easily adjustable as well

1 Like

Itā€™s a high strength nylon bushing (4 of them on each truck actually) Iā€™m not sure how well a bearing would hold up on the kingpin.

That is more or less the same set up my brother has in the uk. Hes a massive trampa fanboy and if he could be bothered with on line shit he would be all over this. Hes more of a pain in the arse than I am though so probably for the best. I had his set up for a week last year and I found it hard to ride tbh. My fault though because I have always had normal trucks on my stuff and have ridden boards for 30 odd years. He never touched a skateboard before esk8. Horses for courses.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure an oversized bearing 30x8x10 could take the abuse. Lengthening the clevis pin to increase the yaw fulcrum points as well. Making it precision would be the outcome. A tortional PU bushing could be an answer to replace springs and would lower the overall profile.

2 Likes

My bad, Nosno were the trucks that were popular but like many other high performance trucks they have plenty of rake. Here is a photo of two zero degree options that do not seem to have gained much of a user base. trucks-blair-other

4 Likes

I think both of those were for kite boarding, so their main requirements were to be lightweight and to not break when landing on them.

1 Like

You are correct. You probably dont want much manuverability either on a kite board. Zero degree rake is great if you just want to go straight.

1 Like

Assuming youā€™re using the trampa deck, with or without bindings? The issue I have with channel trucks is that if Iā€™m to use channel trucks on regular deck, Iā€™d need a 35 degree adaptive risers. But that lifts the board from the ground by a lot and would be extremely unstable anywhere above 35mph.

On a Trampa deck though, I think its perfect with bindings. If you take out the dampas, the board turns on a dime though its still not as turnable as an RKP or TKP. So for acceleration, channel trucks is good but it will never be maneuverable as RKP or TKP.

Personally, I like the channel trucks and have taken mine up tp o 43mph.

3 Likes