Cheap-a$$ 3D printer

where did you buy yours ?

Aliexpress - cheapest i found. If anyone is interested in the Tevo - iā€™d definitely suggest you join the FB group. Tons of good info and wish iā€™d joined before buying (probably woudā€™ve skipped the dual setup).

1 Like

If you want a cheap 3d printer,the monoprice maker selecy Is your best in the US option. Usually it can be had for 350 shipped. At this point 90% of all kickstarter 3d printers have failed to deliver. Serious, I can name 10 off the top of my head, donā€™t kick start one. Itā€™s a terrible, terrible idea.

What about this one? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/_90843__Malyan_M150_i3_3D_Printer_US_Plug.html

It seems well for the price!

Hobbyking is charging 71 dollars shipping on that, which is a clone of a better printer (dont do clones in 3d printing, they really, really, suck.) Its cloning the wanhao duplicator i3, which is the same as the monoprice maker select.

If you REALLY want to stick to a tight budget on a 3d printer, and want something proven.Get a folgertech prusa i3, the aluminum one. It is a kit, so it has to be assembled but it can be done in a day if you are decent with tools.

its 269.99 plus 25 dollar shipping so 295.00 shipped. Its not as pretty as other ones, but works very well. I have their kossel printer (but that takes a lot of tinkering to get right, I donā€™t recommend unless you really want a challenge.)

IF you have a bigger budget, say 500, get their ft5 printer. Its brand new but has a huge print area, (12x12x~16inches. Its gigantic in 3d printer terms. most are 8x8x8)

But overall, Iā€™d still recommend the monoprice maker select, they come on sale a lot, and you only have to do 2 bolts to get started on printing. Wanhao duplicator i3 is the same printer btw if you can catch one of those. Donā€™t buy from wanhao usa though, they have been having issues as of late.

1 Like

Mine is up and running but I plan on doing some of the z axis mods, I am getting a slight amount of banding. I ordered a few quality corner braces to replace the L-brackets too.

Iā€™m going to print the stiffening brackets w/ the gift PLA. Corner braces and bottom brackets for sure. If i have Z banding i will start with the oldham coupler to help and go from there. Iā€™m going super slow on my build - re-doing the wiring on the power supply (pulling from all 3 + and - contacts), fused c13 power plug added into a job box, so all contacts/wires will be inside box (need to add an exhaust fan - just open currently).

While iā€™ve been slacking on getting it running iā€™ve already done some upgrades: I insulated my bed with some DEI high temp insulation i had from reflow oven project.
Going to upgrade power wires from PSU to 10 or 12g (if you look at the thick insulation and thin wires inside of the supplied wires from China - yikes!).
And thinking i will direct solder with some xt60 connectors for the power to MKS board and output to heated bed.

Iā€™ve seen quite a few ā€œscorchedā€ power connection examples for both i want to avoid. I need to find my bigger solder wickā€¦

I have just been fiddling with this an hour or two an evening while watching TV. No rush and want to make it work as best as possible. Need to get it off the living room table soon though as GF wants to eat on it or something silly like thatā€¦ :wink:

Put it on a piece of plywood until it is finished, 2x2 or 2x3 foot. I have limited space so all my projects are on bases like this so I can move them around and free up space.

1 Like

Found this. Very tempting, anyone think I shouldnā€™t?

Itā€™s not going to last very long. Get something that come with aluminum or stainless steel frame.

Is this one any good? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016R9E7J2/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469819558&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=3d+printer

Iā€™d say get one with the enclosure and a heated bed. Most people want to use ABS. I am using PETG which requires only a heated bed and a fan blowing on the print. I regret having bought a printer that has too small of a printing volume (250x150x150mm). If youā€™re thinking of printing enclosures and the like, get something that can print larger stuff. Leo

FlashForge 3d Printer Creator Pro, Metal Frame Structure, Acrylic Covers, Optimized Build Platform, Dual Extruder W/2 Spools, Works with ABS and PLA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8NM6JO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_nT6Mxb19QWA1H

I think Iā€™m gonna get thisā€¦

1 Like

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=200042003&initiative_id=AS_20160729114635&SearchText=3d+tarantula

where should I go to learn about 3d printer parts/components?

I started this thread a while ago. it is fun to build one for yourself.

Wanhao Duplicator i3 $850 AUD 20cmx20cmx20cm build platform. Copy of Prusa i3 but assembled. Can print nylon,wood,pla,abs etc

How is the printer going, any feedback about its performance?

I am considering this printer.

I have a Qidi printer which is the same as the flashforge with minor differences. I really like it.

Leo

What materials have you run through the QIDI, have any pics of items you have printed?