Cheapest/Value 12S VESC/ESC?

So I am in the middle of making my board, and I have realised I will have absolutely everything except the FOCBOX UNITY and a remote by next week. I don’t know if enertion will be able to deliver this year, but i’d like to get riding before I have to find out. I was thinking about buying dual focboxes or some other reliable solution so I can use my board until then, and then use them in future DIY or sell them on when my unity comes. My setup with be 12S5P Dual 6374s , but its actually not a huge concern to me to get full performance out of the motors before I get the unity. I’d like to know what I can do to run them until I get it, as long as its reliable I don’t mind it being a bottleneck to my setup.

Cheers for any help, Anubis

Cheap, reliable things get markups, maybe you could get the same thing for less under different branding but then its a hit or a miss.

With that being said Torque-boards vesc (4.12) works well on bldc, I think they offer some lvl of QC and do issue refunds when needed.

Second option from me would be the Hobbyking vesc (4.10 or 4.12?) , mainly because they issue refunds on faulty products (I had successfully made returns with them) But you may have to pay return shipping (depends on the situation)

And I’m unsure of this, but maybe flipsky’s 4.12 vesc, is a decent option just keep away from the “Minis” and the “4.2’s”

If you have the money I’d just go with focboxes. Reliable and easy to resell if and when you no longer need them.

4 Likes

^ this , same thing I’m doing , and they’ll be nice backups in the event that the unity has an issue and you need a Teliable VESC for the downtime

1 Like

I would also like to know the answer to that question. I have been thinking about building a second board and since I already have 12S in my main board it would be easier for me to also have 12S in the second one (only one type of chargers to keep around). From what I have read so far it seems the only option considerable cheaper than Focboxes that could still be used with 12S are the Flipsky 4.12 single VESCs as long as you don’t exceed 50A and run them in BDLC. If this is true then for around 50€/ea shipped it seems like a no brainer

1 Like

Focbox all the way If new ones are expensive for you a good deal on an used one pops up every often

Given the point is time sensitivity, i dont really want to wait for a good eu deal to pop up

1 Like

Have you checked use parts for sale on the forum? I feel like I just saw a set the other day.

Most are asking more than enertions sale price for used ones. I wish there was an esc like diyeboards one that worked on 12s

why on gods green earth would you want that? As far as I’m aware the only reliable 4.12 variant for 12s is the focbox and I run 2 in a 12s4p set up with no issues whatsover.

1 Like

Um funny thing is most actually work on 12s fine. I have ran a dual belt motor one on 12s before. It worked fine, it obviously got a bit hotter but that’s expected

Where?

Could you got like 80a motor amps and 50a battery amps?

I like the remote and the throttle curve on a longboard it is far past smooth enough and its cheap. It also has an onboard power switch

Which one are you referring to?

I’ve never tried these but here they are cheap as chips.

1 Like

At a maximum of 15amp per motor its a little lacking in power though don’t you think? Its not even in the same book let alone the same page as even a standard 4.12 variant. You need to get out and ride some true diy boards then you will know. Good luck.

At a maximum of 15amp per motor its a little lacking in power though don’t you think? Non programmable? Its not even in the same book let alone on the same page as even a standard 4.12 variant. You need to get out and ride some true diy boards then you will know. Good luck.

Get focboxes, most reliable vesc I have ever run and still runing on all my boards, only one blown

one of these variants

How heavy are you with gear? I think some of the hills i’d roll on could potentially kill the ESC? maybe