Chiboards Killer Trampa | 12s7p 777 Wh | Dual rear SK3 190kv 6374 | E-Toxx belt kit | Magura Hydraulic Brakes | Holypro35 deck | 8" Primo's | MasterCho mod GT2B

Thanks man! I appreciate the support from you and everyone else :slight_smile:

That’s a good question. My goal is for this to be sold at a price not much higher than what you (the consumer) would have to pay to build it yourself.

That is the goal but we will see what this becomes

4 Likes

Don’t forget to factor in a good profit for your work… and also shipping costs. Warranty is a big thing if you’re planning on selling this to everyone including the general public. They’ll be sending it back to you for any minor thing that goes wrong, so don’t forget to factor that into cost.

After all that you may have a high price, but there isn’t really a quality complete MTB available on the market. And I’d rather pay more for a quality board with good post purchase support.

Looking forward to build photos of this.

1 Like

You’re right the cost will likely be over 3 grand but considering what you’re getting for the price it’s kind of a steal in my opinion. I know getting that high in numbers scare people away but I invite people to price it all out on top of labor and see if it’s something they’d be willing to go for. As of right now my profit is minimal and if anything goes wrong my profit is gone lol with all the bells and whistles I don’t expect to take my money home but what is more important to me is the valuable ride time I need from my beta tester. Also I plan to keep the price at close to what it currently is ~2900 but reduce the cost of items via economies of scale. That is why a preorder is exactly what I will be needing in the near future. I will also be using my own mounting system which would cost much less than the current system I use.

I plan to sell this to us performance eboard builders in kit form (really that way is just to get all the parts cheaper) and then of course an Rtr version which will be marked up for labor. The kit will include a preassembled battery bms system since that’s gonna be hard to do alone. But the rest I believe would be fair game. Not sure if there would be interest in that…I assume it depends on how much Cheaper it is I guess.

Any how here’s some pics of a fully spot welder pack. To Get to this point it takes me about 3 hours from starting. 1350 spot welds (I did the math)

I spot weld in three stages. The first parallel layer gets 4 welds. The next series later gets 2 welds and the last layer gets 2 welds. The spot welder is strong enough to penetrate all three layers which means all 8 welds on each end actually weld to the battery itself.

13 Likes

Really sick specs. Look forward to seeing how this goes. How much do you think this board will weigh ? Curious.

Thanks! I’m curious too actually, I’m expecting about 35 pounds hopefully no more than 40 pounds. Yea … it’s not meant to be carried :slight_smile:

I am considering installing a grab handle on the front or back to make it comfortable to roll around like luggage

You, sir, are a machine. That is some damn fine looking, highly repetitive work right there. I’d love to have one of those batteries. But, I’ve got to actually finish my first build and see what my Lipos can do first…

1 Like

I’m not too worried about weight, before this hobby, I used an electric unicycle (I still have it and use it here and there), and it weighs about 30lbs, maybe a bit more. I also don’t use any of my electric skateboards or unicycle for commuting. I don’t carry these things around lol, it is all just for fun.

Hey B. I was at the hobby store the other day like I told you. Several people walked up to me to look at the Trampa and your battery/esc set up. They asked how much and I told them 3G’s roughly depending on how many bells and whistles they wanted PLUS shipping. 2 of the guys said “that’s not bad”. One of the guys told me he went to an R/C car race event and went through 600.00 of tires in one weekend. So people who want to do this know what they are getting into.

I have a handle on my battery box and I use it exactly in the way you described. It makes the board much easier to transport.

3 Likes

What are you setting on the Sunkko for the welding pen? I’m only getting spots like that from the fixed head

Oh man that’s the market I need to hit! Haha yea the setup you have is actually a bit cheaper than 3 grand since you’re using the trampa drive line and no brakes. Yours would maybe be around 2500 or so if that makes a difference :slight_smile:

Thanks for the promotion man!

I like the concept but the box is just too big for me ! In the place that it is

Max current on knob. I alternate between 6 and 10 pulses depending on the thickness.

Thanks!

Looks like I’ll need to exchange mine :expressionless:

1 Like

@barajabali I’ve got a couple questions and thoughts.

1. Do you plan on offering MBS boards at any point? The Trampa’s are obviously amazing boards, but unless I’m missing something, it looks like you’re spending at least $400-500 for just the rolling board, right? It seems that MBS has some lower priced $200+ options (assuming they’d work), and they’re US based, so less shipping cost and exchange rate issues, I would guess.

2. Have you tried single drive on your MTB’s, and do you think it could be a viable option for an entry level board, flat trail cruiser or really light riders?

3. How about offering some lower priced versions that are kind of modular and upgradeable, like single drive variants or the option for a lighter, cheaper, half sized battery? Use the same basic components as your killer build, and offer battery, dual drive and component (wheels, deck, etc.) upgrade packages for those who bought lower priced versions to start. You might be able to reel in some of those folks that might be willing to spend $1500-2000 just to get on the dirt, and have options to upgrade down the line.

And the opposite question from above, what about a top of the line 4wd (I realize this will be very high cost). I just saw @Nowind 4wd trampa, that looks like major fun.

1 Like

@Mobutusan

1. I dont plan on making any MBS boards. the Trampa boards I buy have a retail value of about $750 dollars shipped to my house. I wanted to start on the best rolling board i could find. I dont want to put 5 star electronics on a budget board. I figured that the best board on the market was Trampa, The full carbon fiber deck, the insane assortment of hubs and tires, the amount of customization that can be done to all of the aspects of the boards, The already proven capability of electric Trampas. I want to spare no expenses for my boards.

2. In the future i plan to design mounts for the urban carver I will not however be working on the street carver. I think that a single motor would only be viable with Urban carvers. A single drive mountain board just simply wouldnt do its job right. But a single drive urban carver with maybe a 149 kv 6374 on 12s may just be alright.

3. I am currently looking into that option to reduce the price of the build with minimal sacrifices to performance. The way I see it is, if youre gonna spend $2500 you may as well spend $3000 for double range or whatever else options. The fact of the matter is that these boards are expensive and most means of downgrading will just make for a sad board. For example, my current drive system has a lot more rolling drag than a urethane wheel, a 12s3p battery would crumble under the amount of voltage sag, current draw, and general capcity needed to have a good time on the board. So a smaller battery isnt really an option. These big boards, need big batteries not only for range but for basic use! I may have different options to make the board cheaper for example headlights, usb, heel straps, hydraulic brakes, etc. Options, but the battery and drive systems will likely stay the same.

@Photorph

I will have a 4wd version of this on a “made to order, by request” system :wink: Likely will have a battery rated at 12s10 p to try to combat some range issues.

3 Likes

trampa board material is some secret ingredient fiber, but its not carbon!

do you do touring with your trampas? i had a 10S6P trampa with exactly your battery layout, and somehow the stance didnt work for me for longer distances. and with that giant battery it felt too heavy on my feet for tricks, so it kinda sucked in both possible scenarios. :confused:

if i ever build another trampa, it will be maximum weight savings and probably the thinnest holypro board so that the camber levels out when i stand on it.

p.s.: and direct spur drive like @elkick @nowind with a cover. chain is too messy, with belts i got too many stones worked into my belt even with my street boards! think dpur gear are the most compact and least problematice way for dirt!

I stand corrected! Although, it is “unbreakable” and fairly light in my opinion. Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

I do, I have never actually rode long enough in one go to kill my battery though. The most I’ve rode is ~30 miles and the battery had some juice left in it.

I don’t consider this a trick board but some jumping will be just fine, it’s more for off roading, and long distance traveling. I haven’t had any issues with stance it feels pretty comfortable to me. Maybe you just don’t like being strapped in :slight_smile:

1 Like

wow, 30mi is a lot! how much do you weight and which board & thickness did you use for that?

strapped in isnt a problem, i can spend weeks on my snowboard! problem is the camber for me! i love camber for the awesome energy it can return, but while riding i need a flat board or actually I prefer a little rocker, so i think i shouldve bought the softest holypro to have a pretty much flat profile when just standing on it.

problem is that it might be too soft for tricks then. i really liked the added energy for jumps by compressing the board hard beforehand. its like a trampoline, but the medium stiffness holypro (i had 16ply) felt right for that.