Choosing 18650 cells

You must have seen the chart on endlessphere about average consumption ?

I think most use less than 500w average. So would’nt that be around (36vx14A=504W) average drain ?

So a 4p, that would be 3.5A/cell Average drain correct ?

You on the otherhand at 35mph are probably using closer to 700-900 W !!! : )

If you are only riding on flats then you can use that as an average but if you plan on climbing hills you want to figure about 800 watts unless you have a sub 20 mph drive train.

1 Like

I still prefer a 1000 watt baseline since I like to stuff the throttle constantly. I have actually measured around 2000 watts max with large motors.

Don’t you get the Vesc overheating ??

Are you on FOC or BLDC ?

@chaka which battery do you recommend for large pack 10S8P ?

At 10s8p you can really use just about any cell but it is still a good idea to use a high discharge cell because it allows you to crank up your braking currents if you need it without cooking the cells.

@Randy On a single drive yes, but only when sustaining that level of output during climbing or into a heavy headwind at high speed. A dual drive can do it all day… within reason. Too large of a motor on really tall gearing would probably heat up a set of VESC’s too.

1 Like

Chaka when Looking at these 2 LG data sheets , does’nt the Life Cycle(4.2.3) on the HG2 look better ??

…Unless im not understanding this correctly ?

First is HG2

Second is HE4

That’s one of the reasons I like my voltage meter setup. I knew the HE2 cells I’m using sagged, but now I can see it. They sag .4 of a volt on flat, and as much as 1.2 volts on hills on my 4wd board. But with a 10s4p, the sag is a non issue. The sag was extremely annoying when I used these cells in a 10s3p pack with dual drives (same hubs as backs of 4wd board).

This is my issue constantly. Other than riding aggressively, I ride on steep hills that require a lot of torque. I was able to climb a 27% grade hill today and still maintain some fair speed for what my board can do. But I still need higher top speeds, I sit a lot at full throttle and generally feel slow, even though I top off around 24 mph.

What are your thoughts on the life of the HG2?

Factory charge and discharge testing, from what I understand, is done in such a way that no real data can be gained. If you have time to watch, professor Jeff Dahn gave a very good lecture on li-ion cycle life and cell testing.

2 Likes

Very interesting,… so your theory (“more tightly wound”) about why the HE4 would have a longer cycle life than the HG2 (42:30 min video) is about the (More Pourous Neg Electrode), leading to less Plating ?

I suppose I should have stated “electrolytes of higher density”. :wink: I can’t remember where I found it but I have seen some test results where 2900mah density was the sweet spot at 1C. May have been a tesla related paper.

Aside from differences in cells one major contributer of cell life degradation is charging to 4.2v per cell every time you charge your pack. It is best to only charge to 4.15 the majority of time and charge to 4.2 periodically to balance the pack when needed or on some sort of maintenance cycle. Having a very large pack makes the loss of range a non issue since your the capacity is so high.

Their are many different aspects of li-ion cell management that play into overall cycle life.

I have just bought a charger that “whitepony” discovered that has a “Variable Resistor” , inside the box, so i can reduce Max V to 41V.

…Makes me wonder how long the 100wh Boosted Board Batteries are lasting ? :anguished:

Boosted do lifepo4. Really long lasting and safer but bigger.

@chaka so if I was to do a 10S3P would I choose LG HG2, Samsung 25R5, Lg HE4, Sanyo UR18650NX? Thanks

Anyone know’s another source for the 30Q or HG2? both nkon and fasttech are not shipping to Brazil in the moment

I found some on eBay, but at a lot higher price and there’s a risk of receiving fakes

And what about the NCR GA? i know it’s not the best, but amazing capacity and a great improvement over my current NCR B, 40 mOhms versus 110 mOhms IR, and the most important factor is that i can order them from tumich on endless sphere for a acceptable price and shipping

BUMP. Thanks @chaka . I think the only difference between 25R and HE4 is protection?

perhaps you could get in on the group buy before it’s finalised, asked @JLabs

I have gotten info from “endlessphere forum” that “Shenzhen E-fire Technology Development Co.,LTD” on Alibaba is a reliable source and have contacted them myself for Authentic Samsung 30Q cells.

$3.40/cell for 105 cells plus around 100.00 shipping + import fees .

On what have you decided? I am also considering a 10S3P pack for an everyday commuting board.

I ended up going with the Samsung 25Rs because they were cheaper, have a higher peak output, and are known as a good and reliable cell