Collision with car

She didn’t yield when she was supposed to yield?

They will go left right and straight ahead contrary to what they are supposed to do, special candidates will perform i turns without warning or checking

A car ran a stop sign right in front of me and I hit the car with similar damage as this. Her insurance company started asking me questions and I told them I didn’t trust them and I’d talk to them with a lawyer present. They never called back.

3 Likes

I have a Bern helmet and I plan on getting a full face for extra protection. Also I feel that it may help visually break away from the traditional skateboard look and hopefully gain a more attentive glance from drivers. I think full face registers more as motorcycle than skater at first glance. Also I’m going to get some gloves with the skid plate on the palm that i see people get for downhill. I want to try and practice sliding to a stop by getting the board sideways in front of me and holding my weight up with my hand sliding behind. Kinda like a snowboard but more horizontal. I see the downhill kids do it and want to adopt this to flat ground for safety purposes when I need to stop and/or turn abruptly. I know I hear a lot of people on here recomend foot stopping but while this is good for a break outage I don’t think it’s as realistic to combine breaking with one foot and electrical-break with your other foot still on the board. My crotch cant handle the forces well enough. If I can get it down I’m gonna go full asshat and stop like this non-stop to hopefully reinforce reflex response and confidence in it’s use cases.

…I’ll stop like that till I get it down. Not indefinitely… lol. Also I am looking forward to the puns I get in response to “my crotch cant handle the forces” haha.

Now I’m looking at https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/for-the-people-who-cant-footbrake/48821/17?u=acklavidian

…Perhaps I need to practice foot breaking too.

Either way with my braking wheels on the back I don’t know that taking my weight off the back of the board and braking with one foot would be more effective than braking with my entire weight on the board.

The only thing you could have done is ride all over the place… and do a windmills with your spare arm every few seconds.

Glad you skated away from that one!

You can wear a hi vis helmet jacket and pants with lights all over, and cars will still violate your right of way…

You can minimize how often it happens by moving around more in your lane.

On my supermoto, I ride all over the lane, on the left, then the right, and back to the left side, and never at a steady speed… Always accelerating or decelerating.

Almost every time a car shows up on a side street, or a left turner in the suicide lane, I stand up then sit back down.

Getting drivers to see you is only part of the equation, you need to give them some context so they can accurately judge your speed…

No way to give them the info they need if you are riding at a steady speed in a straight line.

Even if they see you, your speed cant be judged accurately.

They may see you, even make eye contact with you, and they will still go and pull out or turn in front of you…

It’s because your visible cross section while you are in a steady path of travel is not enough to go on.

Just not enough info, no context. You are a small dot blending into their 180° field of vision.

A quick bob and weave, just carve back and forth and all of a sudden, they can see you and will be able to judge your speed and direction more accurately.

Think of it like fishing with a lure…

You can drag a lure straight and steady, and fish won’t even see it. The lure just blends in with the background…

When you change the direction and speed of the lure, now they can see it because it’s erratic, and not moving straight.

4 Likes

It was the purple. Prior, I was wearing a black snowboarding helmet. People would look right through me. Now with the purple full face, people do a double take to figure out what the hell I am, evaluate and respond properly. Most of the time. I actually have a remote activated car horn built into my board, but have used it maybe once since going purple. I didn’t even realize this was happening for a good while. I was like, “everyone is so nice these days…”

Based on this experience, I think adding lighting to the body or helmet would significantly increase safety.

I knew this was the case statistically from motorcycle safety classes, but didn’t really notice on a motorcycle (I have a yellow helmet and a gray helmet).

Bingo. And from motorcycle safety class, they taught us to always have an “out”. So I’m planning for them to make their move, and have an escape plan. I look back every 3 seconds or so to know which way I can swerve. Plan A, B an d C.

I generally plan for this, and hope it doesn’t happen.

1 Like

This lady hit me in a school zone while I had a green light and was in a bike lane also passing through a crosswalk. She admitted to me that she didn’t see me because she was too close behind the car turning in front of her. She went because they went and trusted they would have enough time as the person in front did. I dodged the first car but couldn’t turn hard enough to dodge 2 cars in a row. Even if i did I would have had an even harder time dodging the neutral ground behind her. If I would have clipped that neutral ground curb it would have thrown me in to on coming traffic. I ran out of options and took the hit.

I can tell you for a fact that drivers are MUCH more friendly and rule aware when they notice my GoPro, so I make it a point to point to it.

2 Likes

I wear it on the front of my helmet, sticking out like “Hey! Death-Machine Pilot! You’re on camera!”

3 Likes

Their insurance agent called me today to get my statement. During this process she asked me if I was injured. I told her that while my injuries haven’t yet presented any cause for worry my immediate concerns are the damages to my things. My shoes, and jacket were ripped. More importantly a helmet should be replaced after significant impact events. After she heard this she suggested I file a personal injury claim to replace those things. I wanted to post this here so that the community can be aware of these options when these things happen.

Never give statements to insurance companies!

They are trying to screw you over. Doing that can only possibly benefit them, and hurt you.

1 Like

Well I’m sure that because I am considered a pedestrian they just want to cover their butts. I’m sure in this process I’ll sign something that will in effect prevent me from taking further action. So screwing me over right now just looks like them ensuring that I won’t take it further. I don’t want the trouble of pressing charges so I take this little win over whatever long strung out court saga it would take to get things otherwise. I agree with you but because I was a pedestrian with the right of way in a green light intersection, in a school zone there isn’t much they can do to me. So the person getting screwed over will be the other party.

Doesn’t matter. Just tell them what property you need replaced. They don’t need a recorded statement for that. They only need that to screw you over. Don’t believe all the garbage that comes from their mouths.

3 Likes

Make sure you get pain and suffering too. I got $1200 when the lady cut me off. I shouldve gotten more but I didn’t feel like going back and forth. I felt like I got hit by a truck the next day.

1 Like

The problem with riding electric skakeboard is that drivers sees us but misjudge our speed. They see a skakeboarder or just a pedestrian and thinks our speed is less then 10 mph but the reality is were r traveling 18 to 22 mph.

This is often true but she said she didn’t look. She simply failed to yield.

1 Like

Thanks. Will keep that in mind.