Commuted | Landyachtz Canyon Arrow | Single 6374 SK3 192kV | VESC | 12S | 80mm Kegels

So I thought I finally got the mount situated, It stopped rotating after I drilled out the threaded holes and put bolts with nylon lock nuts and red loctite. This allowed to get enough clamping force to prevent the rotation.

On the other hand it totally cracked open today. Just under 50 miles on it and it’s done for good now. There are too many spots that don’t have enough material it seems. Is there any reason people don’t make these out of steel? Pretty much the most important mechanical piece on the board.

Not exactly sure what caused it to fail. I noticed the belt was slipping a lot under braking then finally stopped and the mount was bent over dragging the belt into the wheel. I pushed it back to straight and went another 1/4 mile. When I inspected it further I found this crack.

Namasaki which motor mount is it ?

I’m using Torqueboards new dual mount setup.
It’s a very solid mount. Also, I replaced the 1/2" rear riser with a 1/4" riser and kept the 1/2" riser on my front truck. The resulting 1/4" rake makes the ride amazing! With snug bushings in front and tight bushings in back, it’s very stable. And the low rider rake makes accelerating/braking much more comfortable. I would never have thought to try this but a friend of mine who races downhill told me to setup with the nose a little higher and the back wheels tighter. I’m currently running 44 deg base plates front and back. Bushings are Riptide abs cannon. Front: 85a deck side & 90a street side Rear: 90a deck side & 95a street side My weight on the deck compresses the upper(softer) bushings and relaxes the lower(harder) bushings. I’m 188lbs and the ride with those durometers are reasonably carvey yet stable cruising at moderate speeds 10-18 mph. I didn’t try higher speeds with this setup yet because I’m nursing a sprained wrist and don’t want to risk falling again until it’s healed. I’m anxious to see how the rake feels going faster. It does make leaning forward feel more balanced and comfortable.

3 Likes

I have a diyelectricskateboard V3 mount that will be going on tonight. I was waiting for longer belts cause it will require a 270mm on 14:36 instead of the 250mm on the psychotiller mount since the center-to-center distances are different.

Impressive as always… great build!

I have to agree to the steel statement. AL is not particularly forgiving when bending has exceeded its flexible region; it fatigues quickly and then it snaps, and then is done. Running high power will exacerbate the problem with bending in AL mounts, thus causing premature failure if they bend too much.

Spent last night switching to 15mm drive setup and the diyelectricskateboard mount. I only have 3 miles on this, but it feels like the 15mm drive works so much better than 9mm. So if you are planning on single motor try to find 15mm drive parts.

Here is the damage to the old mount:

diyelectricskateboard V3 mount and prototype 15mm drive.

Now have 58 miles on the board and have reached 31.5mph top speed on a slight decline. Cruising at 25mph is effortless.

3 Likes

Does the 6374 support a 15mm belt? I thought I read that the shaft was too short?

Not to be a smart ass, but you can see in the pics that there is a 15mm pulley on my 6374. It is tight, but there is clearance. Also depends on the motor mount and pulley thickness. I can take accurate measurements tonight and post them. This motor pulley is 20.5mm wide.

This is why I made my own mount, to avoid 2 problems , 1- No movement !!, 2- short Sk3 shafts.

13mm 6061 Aluminum , 3mm Stainless steel !

6 Likes

@Randyc1 Nice work! Did you post your mount in this thread?

Mobutsan , What do you mean?

That’s kind of the main thread for diy motor mounts and would be a good place for you to post yours so other people can see your handy work. Otherwise, it will probably get buried or overlooked in this thread. :thumbsup:

1 Like

A little cruise today.

5 Likes

So how is this relevant to stealth71’s build thread? As stated previously by a previous poster I agree that your mount belongs in a motor mount thread, not on someone’s build thread. I am interested in building a skate just like stealth71, with off the shelf stuff that is already made, and DIY stuff is out of the question for me.

G.

Made it past the 100 mile mark.

3 Likes

Great job mate . The levels look very snazzy and that’s a mad wiring effort

100km is a good sign of reliability and dedication to stringent testing regime . Good job

Sorry 100 miles :joy::joy:

where did you get the 15mm belt and pulleys? I also need a longer belt and i’m having a hard time finding them in 12mm but i’m also having a hard time finding a 36t 15mm drive pulley that can be easily mounted to the wheels