Connecting a Brushed Motor to Vesc

@Pedrodemio So if the current goes over its rating it can be damaged? But im guessing the current would have to be continuous in order to overheat and damage?

Yeah, if Iā€™m not mistaken the VESC still limits the current with brushed motors, so you can gradually increase it as you fell if itā€™s getting too hot

Awesome this was helpful now I can rebuild my wifeā€™s pocket mod hahaha

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to setup a Flipsky VESC in DC mode to run a brushed 24v 120w zy6812 motor on 6S for my sons build. Heā€™s 9 and only weighs 20kg. Iā€™ve had it turning with very conservative battery/motor current values but it didā€™nt run very fast or with much power. Prior to this we were using a rc car esc which only allowed us to go to 4S but top out about 10mph and he wanted it to go a little bit faster. So I thought Iā€™d try it on 6S but couldnā€™t find a cheap brushed rc car esc over 4S but the flipskys on eBay are so cheap now iā€™d thought Iā€™d give one a go. So what sort of min and max motor/battery settings should I be using for this setup. Canā€™t find any max or continuous current specā€™s for this motor but 120w/24v is 5amp isnā€™t it. The battery is made up of 3 x 2S 40C 5000mah lipos in series. Currently I think Iā€™ve got max motor current at 5 amps. Do I just keep upping this until the motor starts getting warm.

1 Like

I doubled the motor current up to 10Amps and the powers back to similar as it was with the RC car esc. Motor doesnā€™t appear to be getting to warm either. The top speed is up from 10mph to maybe 13-14 mph at a guess so heā€™s pleased. It means he can keep up with me as we cruise around the estate. Iā€™ve also ordered another HM-10 Bluetooth module we can see some live figures for speed, current and voltage.

1 Like

When you use the VESC in DC mode can you use dual motors as in two motors connected in parallel to the two VESC outputs (centre output phase not connected) . Would I need to double up the AMPS limits say if I was going from one 150W motor to two 150W motors so 300W in total. I know you canā€™t with brush-less motors but I have seen this in Brushed ESC RC cars before.

@ricoghardforth As far as Iā€™m aware NO you cannot connect two motors either in series or in parallel to just one VESC. You would need anothe VESC fo add another motor. Then you can either connect the two VESC with a CAN BUS connector and run them as a master and a slave or you can split the remote receiver connection between the two VESC and use them both as masters. Doing so you will want to split your battery max amps between the two motors (you can fudge this a little for performance, just pay attention to the readings & possible faults you get in the BLDC tool and as always check for overheating or any undesirable motor activity) as your one battery will now be powering two motors, then adjust your motor max amps until you get the performance you are looking for while paying attention to heat and battery drain accordingly. The VESC do have thermal cutouts so just pay attention to the heat created then adjust your cutouts and/or motor & battery settings to prevent damage or add a few Pā€™s to your battery setup and increase your battery max amps. Hope this helps. Getcha Roll On!

We are talking about using the VESC in 2 wire DC mode for a brushed motor not using the normal 3 wire mode using a brush-less motor . There are not phases for the motors to get out of sync like there is with brush-less motors. Iā€™m sure you can do this with normal DC brushed ESC from the RC world the ones you use in the big crawler models.